• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
When did he say that ?
Sure it was the previous incumbent of the SJP hot seat.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's Matt Jay's turn to answers the questions posed by City fans on social media

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have had a complete change of opinion of Matt Jay this season. Prior to the season starting I wasn't all that impressed and felt that he'd probably be released at the end of the season. How wrong was I!

What impresses me most is how he finds the space to allow him to pick his pass. He's a nightmare to mark as he doesn't stay as a forward nor does he hang in midfield. He's much like Firmino in the way he creates space for himself and others.

His stats are actually better than Nicky Laws per minutes on the pitch, and as much as I love Law, I think MJ currently keeps him out the team.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have had a complete change of opinion of Matt Jay this season. Prior to the season starting I wasn't all that impressed and felt that he'd probably be released at the end of the season. How wrong was I!

What impresses me most is how he finds the space to allow him to pick his pass. He's a nightmare to mark as he doesn't stay as a forward nor does he hang in midfield. He's much like Firmino in the way he creates space for himself and others.

His stats are actually better than Nicky Laws per minutes on the pitch, and as much as I love Law, I think MJ currently keeps him out the team.
Totally agree with you here.

I used to wonder why Jay was given a new deal as he never seemed to progress, but I am going to eat my words as he’s improved 10 fold this season.

Since he’s been moved into a deeper role he’s been excellent and he’s scored some excellent goals and also created plenty. Last night’s pass to Richardson was excellent and the fact he’s so physically fit, he’s always on the move. As you say he’s a nightmare to mark.

I think Jay will keep his place even when Law is fit, and so he should. He could be a big reason we get promoted this season if he keeps up his recent form.

LOG

I seem to remember Tisdale saying that he was the most technically able player in the squad (at that time anyway) and you can see this in that everything he does is usually done accurately. That's probably not a very good way to describe it but i'd have thought things like his pass completion and shots on target stats are pretty good.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Best season so far for him.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I seem to remember Tisdale saying that he was the most technically able player in the squad (at that time anyway) and you can see this in that everything he does is usually done accurately. That's probably not a very good way to describe it but i'd have thought things like his pass completion and shots on target stats are pretty good.
He's got great technique on his shots. Gets over the ball well. Goal vs Colchester last season a case in point. Collins similar.

Grecian2K

"Cometh the hour
Cometh the MAN"
The Gospel according to St Matthew, Month 4 Year 2020

Rosencrantz

He has always had the ability, it was all about finding a way of being effective in the first team. The move back to midfield (started by Tis and carried out in the u23's) has found that role and effectiveness but had Harley ahead of him and then coincided with Nicky Law joining the club playing the same role.

STURTZ

Well Jay has done well whenever selected this season and yet he hasn't retained his place. Let's see if it's different this time.