• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tom Nicholls record for us in the league was 64 appearences 34 as sub and 32 goals.
Averaging 1 in 3 at Crawley this season.

jimmy

h

- Best First Touch

- 5-a-side team.

- Most time on the training pitch.

- 5-a-side team

- 5-a-side

All from two years ago, couldn’t find any further back but all showed what was to come.
Incredible research. I had the thought of looking up similar compliments of MJ...from Tis too. But I really could not be arsed!

Thanks for getting these. Thank goodness for lockdown eh?

Trapdoor

I know many people on here did not like Nicholls but he was a true fox in the box. I personally liked him a lot, he wasn't Curo but he was a lot more effective than someone like Ajose.

Edit: back on topic - MJ is absolutely critical for our success. The more time he gets on the ball the better. We have to start playing through him more, long balls over his head are not how we will win games.

Rosencrantz

The key for MJ was to be effective in first team football. Loved watching him in the u23's as he had all the skills he shows now but it took him some time to transfer that talent to be effective in the first team.

Ben Seymour obviously had a different skill set but whenever I have watched him at youth/u23's/for Dorchester he has done all the things you want a striker of his type to do. As yet though, there have only been glimpses of those strengths in the first team, like MJ went through. I would think the coaching team are seeing those things as well in training. Ben needs though, like MJ eventually did, to find his effectiveness as first team level.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
MJ did take a time to notch his first league goal, end of the 17/18 season against Cambridge and it is only this season with a run of games that he has become somewhat prolific, despite all the rave reviews from players and managers alike.

Seymour we all forget has scored once this season against Swindon in the old EFL trophy match (albeit a penalty), and was much more prolific for Dorchester than Jay was for Truro with both of the teams being in the same league at the moment, (not sure where they were when our players were loaned to them).

So could be that Seymour mat have something about him given a couple more seasons, and he is 21 now and Jay 24 so where was Jay comparatively three seasons ago, but really ahead of Ajose on the bench? Fisher possibly but a marquee signing we should be seeing more from him if that is the case. From his cameo appearances he does seem to be bullied off the ball easily and perhaps an area the fitness and conditioning coach is working on then perhaps we might have a talent on our hands.

IndoMike

MJ did take a time to notch his first league goal, end of the 17/18 season against Cambridge and it is only this season with a run of games that he has become somewhat prolific, despite all the rave reviews from players and managers alike.

Seymour we all forget has scored once this season against Swindon in the old EFL trophy match (albeit a penalty), and was much more prolific for Dorchester than Jay was for Truro with both of the teams being in the same league at the moment, (not sure where they were when our players were loaned to them).

So could be that Seymour mat have something about him given a couple more seasons, and he is 21 now and Jay 24 so where was Jay comparatively three seasons ago, but really ahead of Ajose on the bench? Fisher possibly but a marquee signing we should be seeing more from him if that is the case. From his cameo appearances he does seem to be bullied off the ball easily and perhaps an area the fitness and conditioning coach is working on then perhaps we might have a talent on our hands.
Just about your " MJ bullied off the ball" comment : if you look at his little run to make our first goal the defender did try to knock MJ off the ball but to no effect,
so maybe the strength and conditioning has worked already. I like MJ and he's a useful player for us, but in all honesty I don't think he is good Div 1 standard.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just about your " MJ bullied off the ball" comment : if you look at his little run to make our first goal the defender did try to knock MJ off the ball but to no effect,
so maybe the strength and conditioning has worked already. I like MJ and he's a useful player for us, but in all honesty I don't think he is good Div 1 standard.
Not MJ bullied but Seymour, MJ holds the ball up well especially with the brick outhouses he has to deal with

IndoMike

Not MJ bullied but Seymour, MJ holds the ball up well especially with the brick outhouses he has to deal with
My brain sometimes 🙄. Sorry mate.

scottus86

He was similar at Seymour’s age, maybe we should support Seymour and see how he develops? He’ll probably get to MJ’s level sooner.
Nah, can't agree. Matt Jay rattled the bar or post nearly every appearance he made when he was first breaking into the first team. He was always making those chances for himself, they just wouldn't go in.

Seymour has missed some absolute sitters and hasn't made any chances for himself, totally different player and scenario.

Grecian Max

I used to say Matt Jay was so close to be an amazing player but was actually a bit crap because for all his ability it never really worked in game - it was like his decision making was off.

He has found that extra "thing", I'm not sure exactly what but he's very quickly become a lot more effective, which means now all those tricks, skills, clever bits of thinking fit into the patchwork of his overall game. There's been times this season (and yes this might sound overblown) where he has resembled in style, a League 2 Messi. Which is weird to say, but it's true - with his mazy runs, finishing, being unselfish with the ball, etc etc

One of my favourite players at City currently - I'm really pleased to see him kick on. Want him to stay - I also think he'd be a good future captain.