• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

CraigECFC

Then again, there are those who always thought that MJ looked like he had something but, sadly, just don't see the same in Seymour.

In any case, if some of us are proven to be wrong about Seymour then all well and good, but I really don't see the issue with discussing what we think of Exeter City players on an Exeter City forum.
If you look at interviews from even 3 years ago when players were asked who was the most technically gifted player at the club almost everyone said MJ. Even if he wasn’t consistent then his technical ability was there for all to see. Seymour is not anywhere near as gifted but could be a good league 2 striker in the future.

tonykellowfan

I was always a fan of Jay and unfortunately Seymour does not remind me of Jay.

CraigECFC

h
If you look at interviews from even 3 years ago when players were asked who was the most technically gifted player at the club almost everyone said MJ. Even if he wasn’t consistent then his technical ability was there for all to see. Seymour is not anywhere near as gifted but could be a good league 2 striker in the future.
- Best First Touch

- 5-a-side team.

- Most time on the training pitch.

- 5-a-side team

- 5-a-side

All from two years ago, couldn’t find any further back but all showed what was to come.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
He was similar at Seymour’s age, maybe we should support Seymour and see how he develops? He’ll probably get to MJ’s level sooner.
Probably very true , but the trouble is will City have the time to persevere with him now?Matt is getting to the stage as a manager where he needs to prove himself and hopefully take the club out of this league especially after the disappointing playoff saga.I know as a club we don’t expect instant success but young Seymour may improve a bit too slowly to influence our chances in that direction.

tonykellowfan

Seymour should be out on loan.

On one ifollow game I listened to the away commentary as the home one was so poor. An interesting point they made was when Law came on they said "xxx would love to have a player of Law's quality on the bench". You can't imagine any team in L2 worrying about Seymour on the bench and coming on.

Red Devon

Tisdale was saying the same even further back than that.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately for Seymour he was elevated to the first team earlier than he may otherwise have been due to Forte's retirement.

Tom Nichols made his first team debut at Hillsborough in the last game of 2010/11 but it wasn't until 2013/14 that he made a significant number of appearances (28) scoring 6 goals. The following season was his breakthrough in terms of the number of goals scored (17).

I saw footage of some of the goals Seymour scored the season before last when he was on loan at Dorchester and some were worldies. Give him time I say.

Red Devon

Unfortunately for Seymour he was elevated to the first team earlier than he may otherwise have been due to Forte's retirement.

Tom Nichols made his first team debut at Hillsborough in the last game of 2010/11 but it wasn't until 2013/14 that he made a significant number of appearances (28) scoring 6 goals. The following season was his breakthrough in terms of the number of goals scored (17).

I saw footage of some of the goals Seymour scored the season before last when he was on loan at Dorchester and some were worldies. Give him time I say.
Didn’t Tom Nichols fire one home in front of the big bank from 30 yards against Chesterfield on his home debut.

tonykellowfan

Tom Nicholls record for us in the league was 64 appearences 34 as sub and 32 goals.

andrew p long

Tisdale was saying the same even further back than that.
yes, I recall Tis saying that toward the end of a season in which MJ hadn''t played much 'the most technical gifted/skilful player in the squad is Matt Jay'

At the time it worried me that that was the sort of praise that Tis used to hand out to players that he was about to release!