• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

Red Bill

With Tom off to pastures new, I was wondering who's next off the academy production line. We seem to be persevering with Matt Jay and making sure he's out playing matches on loan. He seems to be doing ok. Who's prepared to bet that he'll be the next young striker to come through?

At the beginning of last season I thought Tom Nichols wasn't going to make the grade, how wrong I was, so could young Matt be the next one to surprise me?!

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Would like to see Matt Jay surprise me but haven't thought that he has the quality from the limited times I have seen him. Am looking more to see if either Watkins or Reid can kick on and become first team regulars.

andrew p long

interesting isn't it? At one stage a year or so back,Jay looked to be ahead of Watkins and to have overtaken Reid who was out injured. Last season he made 3 league appearances whilst Ollie only got on in the JPT (IIRC). Then they both went on loan to WSM, who kept Ollie Watkins but Matt Jay returned after a month.

But this season Watkins is ahead,having played at Argyle and scored an important clinching goal v Port Vale in the second round of the cup. Whereas Matt Jay is out on loan

It looks to me as if Tis really rates Matt Jay but (like many others) it will be a steady and gradual introduction. I also wonder,partly due to build etc,whether Jay will end up as a No 10 or an eventual understudy to Ryan Harley. Watkins career? Anything could happen,including him being explosively good..

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I haven't seen enough of Jay to comment but he is ridiculously small

Watkins I think will probably be our next sale - looks decent

Jamie Reid - Unfortunately I don't think he will make it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm unsure about whether Jay will cut it given his stature, but happy to be proved wrong on that score as in the little (no pun intended) I've seen of him he clearly has a bit about him.

Banksy

I haven't seen enough of Jay to comment but he is ridiculously small

Watkins I think will probably be our next sale - looks decent

Jamie Reid - Unfortunately I don't think he will make it.
Well , he's taller than Jamie Cureton whose height never held him back.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well , he's taller than Jamie Cureton whose height never held him back.
Has he shot up recently or something? The OS says Jay is 5'10", last time I saw him play I'd have had him closer to about 5'5".

Cureton is 5'8".

Red Bill

i think sometime too much is made of people's stature. There are so many examples of excellent diminutive strikers, Messi being an obvious exemplar but Micheal Owen, Defoe, Keegan to name a few demonstrate you clearly don't have to b e big to stick the ball in the net.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Has he shot up recently or something? The OS says Jay is 5'10", last time I saw him play I'd have had him closer to about 5'5".

Cureton is 5'8".
The OS is wrong. Jay is no where near 5.10

I would guess at about 5.3

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The OS is wrong. Jay is no where near 5.10

I would guess at about 5.3
Yes, I was being polite in calling him 5'5"! I remember him up against a couple of behemoths at Northampton, looked like he could have run through their legs.