• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Gill

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's quite exiciting looking around at who we might sign, our very rapid climb up the leagues has made some previously unthinkably unattainable players a real prospect.

Ellis is right, Tis will only sign players that are exactly right for what we need.

Don't think we'll go for wingers though, Tisdale prefers players that are actively involved in play all the time, and who are we to argue?

Last edited:

Mackster

Gilly gambled and won by letting his contract run down. This won't be about sentiment, it will be all about money. I'm sure there will be clubs with deeper pockets than Torquay lining up to offer him a contract. My gut instinct is that he'll be off and we'll send him on his way with out thanks and appreciate the decision he has had to make.

ianaplincorners

Gilly gambled and won by letting his contract run down. This won't be about sentiment, it will be all about money. I'm sure there will be clubs with deeper pockets than Torquay lining up to offer him a contract. My gut instinct is that he'll be off and we'll send him on his way with out thanks and appreciate the decision he has had to make.
'out' or 'our' ?

Gozzer

I mentioned Torquay as I knew they were interested in Gilly, interested enough to make a bid, anyway. If Mackster's gut feeling is right, then I would expect that Gilly will be letting the Bristol clubs know that he's out of contract. Personally, I think he would be best off staying with City on our L1 adventure, but it may well be money that is the deciding factor, unless he wants to move away from the Westcountry.

crocks

If Gilly does go, don't overlook the potential this gives for changing the shape of the team. Gilly has a phenomenal work rate, a great range of passing, moves well to give his team mates an option at all times and tackles back well. Suppose, for example, he was replaced with a more classic holding midfielder - someone with a towering presence, good in the air, slightly more defensive but with enough pace not to get isolated. Such a player would allow Paul Tisdale to pair him with someone more creative like Harley with that player getting forward a lot, and play two wide midfielders/wingers.

I guess what I'm saying is if Gilly does go, don't get too upset if there isn't a like-for-like replacement. Maybe those of you crying out for wingers might finally get your wish.
This might be what Tis was hinting at on another thread:

"We might have to change our style to begin with"

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
People must remember that most players have families to look after aswell as themselves and sometimes players will hold out for better contracts.

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
As good as Gill is and has been, if he doesn't want to play for us, thank you and goodbye.

LL

Mikkle

I think Gilly is just making sure he gets a few songs on Saturday!
I'd imagine he'll stay now we're in league 1.
Hope he does, anyway.....

ralph

People must remember that most players have families to look after aswell as themselves and sometimes players will hold out for better contracts.
This is the point. If Matt Gill can do better for himself by moving, then so be it and good luck to him. As far as I can tell, he's given everything when he's played and that's all you can ask after all.

finetime

As good as Gill is and has been, if he doesn't want to play for us, thank you and goodbye.
Echoed my sentiments...

Our central midfield is looking ok even without Gill. We've got the energy and strength of Panther, I suspect Cozic will get another year and he brings a bit of bite and niggle and then if/when required we'll have the creativity of Harley and perhaps Russell as well as Rob E from time to time assuming he players fewer games next season. It's probably the only area we can afford to lose one of our better players and not be too weak for it..

I feel that although Tisdale will want to keep Gill his main priority will be central defence, some strong and industrious midfielders who can play wide as well as more narrow and a real focal point to work with up front - either someone with pace to burn, good strength and control or the ability to go past a man. Anything to bring a new dimension to the attack..

I'm sure Gill will be offered a good contract and the rest is up to him..