• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marcus Flitcroft - Head of Recruitment. What does he do and what is his back story?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As we approach the end of another mundane transfer window, having made one signing (of an injured player) and about to make another, and we are being told we are trying to sign a striker but has drawn a blank so far, and our expectations are lowering from where they were at the start of the month. A lot of talk will centre on KMT's failure to bring anybody in and questions are being asked about signings that have been previously made who have failed to live up to expectations and yes I imagine the end decision is his, but we do have a head of recruitment who has been with the club for seven years in one role or another and I am wondering what his role entails and who is he? Whether he has connections in football? Is he just an analyst who provides data which his background suggests? It would be interesting to know as the role title would suggest a lot more and I would hope he has a team of scouts across the country searching for prospects? Can anybody fill in the gaps please. From linked in his history with us is:

Exeter City Football Club
7 years 5 months

• Head of Recruitment and Performance Analysis
    Jan 2019 - Present2 years 1 month
    Exeter, United Kingdom
  • First Team Match Analyst
    Nov 2015 - Jan 20193 years 3 months

• Lead Academy Analyst
    Jul 2014 - Sep 20162 years 3 months
    Exeter

• Performance Analyst Intern (Football)
    Sep 2013 - Jul 201411 months
    Exeter

ExmouthMart

Probably left over from the last Managers ‘team’. Not an easy job though given our circumstances but wouldn’t mind listening to him explain how we acquired Ajose bearing in mind the bits we know now.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
What the cv in the OP shows is that all of Marcus' previous roles have been as an analyst.

But that in January 2019 (during this manager's time) he also got appointed 'head of recruitment'. (IIRC that was when Eric Kinder changed roles a bit). A somewhat puzzling description as all the key decisions about incoming (and outgoing) players are(surely?) made by MT.

Unless his job title actually means 'Head of Recruitment Analysis and of Performance Analysis'.

dontpassback

I could be a performance analyst,some days we are brilliant,other days we are rubbish! Probably not enough in depth detail there !

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
What the cv in the OP shows is that all of Marcus' previous roles have been as an analyst.

But that in January 2019 (during this manager's time) he also got appointed 'head of recruitment'. (IIRC that was when Eric Kinder changed roles a bit). A somewhat puzzling description as all the key decisions about incoming (and outgoing) players are(surely?) made by MT.

Unless his job title actually means 'Head of Recruitment Analysis and of Performance Analysis'.
While I don't pretend to know, this has always been my understanding.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
PeteUSA - Head of Goalkeeper analysis

Appointed January 2021 after completing a fifteen year apprenticeship.

ryancooper327

I’d happily take on the role in my spare time for free. I work in a senior data role and planning on taking scout quals for a bit of fun. We could do some proper ‘Moneyball’ stuff.

Edit: I realise this sounds a bit stupid but I certainly think there’s scope for more collaboration with fans with certain skills sets.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
After the last two matches I hope the boy is compiling a list of early striker targets for the summer regardless of what league we are in

Banksy

After the last two matches I hope the boy is compiling a list of early striker targets for the summer regardless of what league we are in
Bit late for this one though sadly.Let’s hope we can have a striker clean out and Taylor gets it right this time.

arthur

Is he by any chance related to brothers David and Garry Flitcroft? I think we should be told.... ( if we haven't been already)