• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mansfield Town v Exeter City match day thread.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Red red

Can’t be there but we’ll done to all that can. Hopefully City can keep up the recent form against teams in form and show how good we are. Come on City

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Jason s preview

City's tricky run of fixtures commenced with a 1-1 draw at resurgent Bristol Rovers last week, and a brutally busy run sees a longer trip on Friday night to another side that has completely turned its fortunes around after a poor start. Two players went off injured in that match, and while Jevani Brown's knock looks minor and will hopefully see him fit enough to travel to Mansfield, Cheick Diabate's injury looked altogether more serious, the youngster departing the scene on a stretcher. Jonathan Grounds and the fit again Alex Hartridge will compete to replace him, but one player who won't be in line for a recall is Colin Daniel, who has joined Aldershot Town on loan. Elsewhere Padraig Amond will again miss out due to a recent operation to remove an abscess, while Offrande Zanzala is not yet ready to return from his knee surgery and Harry Kite is also sidelined.

When Mansfield left the Park in October having lost 2-1 in a match where the disparity was wider than the scoreline suggested, the knives were firmly out for Nigel Clough, as that defeat extended their winless run to 14 matches in all competitions. However, that appeared to be a watershed moment for the Stags as they have since won 16 of their 21 matches since and losing just two - one of those in the FA Cup 3rd round to Middlesbrough. Clough was able to augment his squad in January with players of the quality of Matty Longstaff and Jamie Murphy joining on loan while Lucas Akins joined from Burton. Nobody has yet reached double figures although Rhys Oates now has nine in all competitions.

Although in the end a 2-1 win was richly deserved back in October, City did it the hard way as they so often have this season (in fact City have conceded first in every match your correspondent has attended including this one) - going down to a goal from Oli Hawkins before Tim Dieng and Matt Jay secured a come from behind victory. It was the same story in Nottinghamshire last season - Menayesse gave the Stags the lead before Rawson (OG) and Key secured a 2-1 win. Those wins extended City's league head to head lead to 27-22, 19 matches finishing level.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nervous but excited about tonight. Curry followed by football, not many better Friday nights to be had.

burtiew

Looking forward to visiting Mansfield for the first time. My fingernails have regrown since my last away match at Swindon. Hoping for the same result, just not left so late!!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
0-2 victory. I can feel it in me bones.

SaintJames

I fear creativity and goals will be missing in the (probable) absence of our talisman Jevani. Therefore, we will huff and puff our way to a 0-0 draw. 373 Grecians go home relatively happy :)

OmanGrecian

Made it to Milan so far. Next stop, Manchester. Haven’t been this excited for a game in ages

SaintJames

Made it to Milan so far. Next stop, Manchester. Haven’t been this excited for a game in ages
Safe trip my Grecian friend. Love Milan last there just before lockdown and if you get time visit the best Cannolli shop ever! Fairly near the castle. If I see anyone at the game tonight eating a Cannolli I will recognise you :)

Ammu Cannoli Espressi Siciliani

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
Be that a siky FrenchMAN ;)