• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager Thread..Appointments & Dismissals

Ex-ciderrr

Gary Bowyer now in charge at Salford City until the end of the season.

dontpassback

Bowyer is going back to derby at the end of the season,so don’t expect any miracles from him,Wellens knew his way around the lower leagues,it’s a shame the same cannot be said for Gary Neville and co

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hayden Mullins now the boss at Colchester.

Legohead

Banned
Hayden Mullins now the boss at Colchester.
Can't do any worse than the most recent incumbents.

DB9

BBC Sport Website reporting Celtic are in advanced talks with Eddie Howe to become their new manager.

Legohead

Banned
BBC Sport Website reporting Celtic are in advanced talks with Eddie Howe to become their new manager.
I think he'll do well there. Likes to play easy on the eye football and the paucity of any real quality in Scottish football, other than Rangers, will enable him to develop the side and playing style gradually whilst still getting the wins needed. As always in Scottish football, the results against Rangers are what matter as well as a run in Europe.

sign of the chimes

I think he'll do well there. Likes to play easy on the eye football and the paucity of any real quality in Scottish football, other than Rangers, will enable him to develop the side and playing style gradually whilst still getting the wins needed. As always in Scottish football, the results against Rangers are what matter as well as a run in Europe.
If I were a Celtic fan there would be a couple of big question marks about Howe. First, he's succeeded (big style) twice at Bournemouth, but has no notable body of work elsewhere. Second, is he a big enough character to succeed in the intense glare of the Old Firm rivalry?

LOG

If I were a Celtic fan there would be a couple of big question marks about Howe. First, he's succeeded (big style) twice at Bournemouth, but has no notable body of work elsewhere. Second, is he a big enough character to succeed in the intense glare of the Old Firm rivalry?
I concur. I think if I were a Celtic fan I’d be slightly underwhelmed if Howe got the job. That’s not to say he wouldn’t do a good job, mind.

Legohead

Banned
It's a fair point about the Old Firm pressure. Howe doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke who could get a Celtic team well up for a game like that. He's mild mannered and although i wouldn't say not passionate, he keeps things close to his chest. The extra oomph from a manager before an Old Firm game could just make the difference on occasion.

sign of the chimes

I concur. I think if I were a Celtic fan I’d be slightly underwhelmed if Howe got the job. That’s not to say he wouldn’t do a good job, mind.
I agree @LOG that he might do a good job there, I keep hearing Sir Humphrey Appleby saying "that's a very brave decision, Minister" to whoever at Parkhead is making that decision. I think what @Legohead says is a big part of that; perhaps it's also the seeming pendulum when it comes to a lot of managerial appointments - i.e. the last manager was type x so we'll go type y this time. Never sure how wise that is beyond the almost inevitable new manager bounce.