• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager Thread..Appointments & Dismissals

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
To say this is an unpopular decision with the locals would be an understatement.
My personal Gloucestershire correspondent suggests that this may be related to some serious health issues that Pearson is/has been undergoing .

Bridgy 81

My personal Gloucestershire correspondent suggests that this may be related to some serious health issues that Pearson is/has been undergoing .
I always thought Somerset was Bristol City (except me of course) and Gloucestershire was Rovers 😉

Alistair20000

Verified by the BBC

In recent weeks he's been walking with crutches, as he waited for more tests to diagnose a "neurological situation".

Bridgy 81

In recent weeks he's been walking with crutches, as he waited for more tests to diagnose a "neurological situation".
That’s not good, or a nice thing to hear.
Hopefully they’ll look after him in terms of his remaining contract and his health improves.

sign of the chimes

Cheers for that, I wasn't aware. A bit odd given the statement from the club (to paraphrase) 'recent results vs our aim to get promoted'.

Either way, if he's suffering from health issues I hope they are addressed and overcome soonest.

Rosencrantz

To say this is an unpopular decision with the locals would be an understatement.
It did come a bit out of the blue for me. I am sure my Bristol City supporting work colleague wasn't expecting it either.

Rosencrantz

Cheers for that, I wasn't aware. A bit odd given the statement from the club (to paraphrase) 'recent results vs our aim to get promoted'.

Either way, if he's suffering from health issues I hope they are addressed and overcome soonest.
You would have thought they would have mentioned that in their statement if his health was a factor.

sign of the chimes

You would have thought they would have mentioned that in their statement if his health was a factor.
The only way I can see they might not is if Pearson didn't want to make a big thing of his personal situation, though I think that's a bit of stretch.

When they appointed him I thought it was a bit of a sop to the fanbase who seemed a bit fed up of managerial appointments that appeared willing to wear the club blazer, but with their hierarchy expecting it to implode before now - given the removal of much of their investment in the playing squad. Wild speculation on my part, but will be interesting to see who follows, and wouldn't be surprised to see another 'blazer' appointment.

Bridgy 81

The only way I can see they might not is if Pearson didn't want to make a big thing of his personal situation, though I think that's a bit of stretch.

When they appointed him I thought it was a bit of a sop to the fanbase who seemed a bit fed up of managerial appointments that appeared willing to wear the club blazer, but with their hierarchy expecting it to implode before now - given the removal of much of their investment in the playing squad. Wild speculation on my part, but will be interesting to see who follows, and wouldn't be surprised to see another 'blazer' appointment.
I don’t understand what you mean.
What’s a sop to their fanbase and what’s a blazer appointment?
Bristol City should be challenging for promotion to the Premier League in my opinion.

sign of the chimes

I don’t understand what you mean.
What’s a sop to their fanbase and what’s a blazer appointment?
Bristol City should be challenging for promotion to the Premier League in my opinion.
Fair question, sorry I wasn't clear.

I've a few contacts in Bristol having spent a period there, which shape my opinions.

I don't think any of their fans expected them to appoint an individual like Pearson before he was announced - their ownership (and at that point CEO) had jettisoned the last manager they'd had like that (Cotterill) and subsequently given Lee Johnson four years, in which he was relatively heavily backed and achieved naff all (because he's an average football manager at best), replacing him with Johnson's assistant, Dean Holden 'after an extensive six-week recruitment process', who lasted nine months.

Johnson surviving for as long as he did, and the appointment of Holden were both seen to be a reflection on the ownership and culture of the club.

The blazer comment comes from Holden's unveiling alongside their CEO and Chairman (the owners' son).

1698618944694.jpeg

It also amazes me that Bristol has spent so long unable to have any representation in the PL. My sense is that the real football passion comes from the Rovers side, possibly epitomised by the fact that City/Bristol Sport is an amalgamation of soccer, rugby and basketball.