• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Macclesfield Town v Exeter City Official Match Day Thread.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did they have 4th Officials in the 1970's.

Genuine question, I thought they were a more recent addition!

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster

Yes, they were introduced in the 70's when the FA decided that a member from the crowd shouldnt be relied upon to do the job accurately in the event of an injury or misfortune to an official. You might recall Jimmy Hill (of MOTD fame) coming on as a linesman when an official couldnt continue. Also sadly, a Mr Jim Finn collapsed and died while refereeing one of our games at SJP, I believe v Doncaster Rovers. City staff member Bill Dymond (who was a referee) came out of the crowd to do it. The senior linesman would take the whistle, and the man from the crowd would run the line. It was decided at the end of that season that a qualified 4th official should be appointed to all games to act in the event of an emergency.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Pete - every day is a school day!

Alistair20000

Evening RP. That was what crossed my mind too but Pete is right and I read this in Wiki:

Fourth official[edit]
The fourth official (also known as the reserve referee, replacement referee, or simply RR) assists the referee in a variety of tasks, and may be called upon to replace another match official. The practice of having a named replacement referee was introduced in 1966 by English referee and administrator Ken Aston, but the International Football Association Board (IFAB) did not officially create the position until 1991, and listed only areas of responsibility. The fourth official is simply instructed to assist the referee at all times, and their duties are largely at the discretion of the referee.

The fourth official typically has a table a short distance from the touchline between the two teams' technical areas, however their positioning is not defined by the Laws of the Game.

Fourth official indicating there should be a minimum of two minutes of injury-time played
In general, fourth officials are responsible for assisting the referee with:

• administrative functions before, during and after the match
  • assessment of players' equipment;
  • managing substitutions, including using a numbered board or electronic display where supplied
  • notifying, by means of numbered boards or electronic displays where supplied, the time added on at the end of each half
  • acting as the contact point between the match officiating crew and any outside agents (such as stadium managers, security personnel and ball retrievers)
  • maintaining decorum in the teams' technical areas
  • identifying offences or other infringements where the referee does not have an adequate view
In practice, the fourth official becomes a key member of the officiating team, who can watch the field and players and advise the referee on situations that are going on out of their sight. The fourth official keeps an extra set of records, and helps make sure the referee does not make a serious error such as cautioning the wrong player, or giving two cautions to the same player and forgetting to send off the player.[2]

Where the fourth official is a junior member of the officiating team, they are generally expected to replace an assistant referee where they are unable to continue to perform their duties (either due to injury or replacing the main referee). However, in most high-level competitions, the fourth official is a designated referee (as opposed to assistant) and therefore replaces the referee in cases where they are unable to continue.

Legohead

Banned
Apparently there are a number of fans now boycotting home games at Macc due to wanting the owner to sod off thus this could have been a reason (along with the weather) for the low attendance yesterday. I am aware that Macc don't get great crowds anyway, probably around a couple of thousand generally.

PeteUSA

In response to Alistair 20000's post # 424

Thats a good article Alistair. The only thing I would say is that the 4th official thing must have been applicable only to top (then First Division) games if it was originally started by Ken Aston in 1966. Otherwise the two games I mentioned would have had someone readily available, as opposed to sending out an appeal on the tannoy! .

Alistair20000

In response to Alistair 20000's post # 424

Thats a good article Alistair. The only thing I would say is that the 4th official thing must have been applicable only to top (then First Division) games if it was originally started by Ken Aston in 1966. Otherwise the two games I mentioned would have had someone readily available, as opposed to sending out an appeal on the tannoy! .
I would think that is probably correct Pete. First Division leading the way; the rest later.

Red Devon

Just seen the clubs #mondaymotivation video what an absolutely superb ball that was from Sweeney in the build up to our third goal.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just seen the clubs #mondaymotivation video what an absolutely superb ball that was from Sweeney in the build up to our third goal.
It was very good, and we got a goal from him as well.

Red Devon

It was very good, and we got a goal from him as well.
Surely a contender for pass of the season it was that good...MJ has played a few of those lately too.