• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Longest Serving Manager in ECFC History

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Barring postponement, tomorrow night Paul Tisdale will become the longest serving manager in club history, surpassing the reign of Johnny Newman (377 games).

Regardless of current feelings, that is quite some achievement in over a Century of City managers.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I would have thought Arthur Chadwick had that honour.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have thought Arthur Chadwick had that honour.
113 games apparently

orangeshark

And long may it continue!

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Barring postponement, tomorrow night Paul Tisdale will become the longest serving manager in club history, surpassing the reign of Johnny Newman (377 games).

Regardless of current feelings, that is quite some achievement in over a Century of City managers.
Would he surpass it GG or would he equal it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_City_F.C.#Managerial_history

This suggests he will draw level with Johnny Newman, not overtake him.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting statistic of the two not withstanding PT's achievement of two consecutive promotions Johnny Newman would get my vote. A man of the people straight talking no illusions of grandour, responsible for signing Tony Kellow and although leaving the Club in December 1976 it was his team that gained promotion to the then Third Division at the end of that season.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would he surpass it GG or would he equal it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_City_F.C.#Managerial_history

This suggests he will draw level with Johnny Newman, not overtake him.
Ah, well, knew he was close!

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting statistic of the two not withstanding PT's achievement of two consecutive promotions Johnny Newman would get my vote. A man of the people straight talking no illusions of grandour, responsible for signing Tony Kellow and although leaving the Club in December 1976 it was his team that gained promotion to the then Third Division at the end of that season.

Tisdale has a slightly higher win percentage, however two seasons of that was in the Conference (and it is plummeting fast)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah, well, knew he was close!
Not wrong though mate. He would become our longest serving manager.

Along with Johnny Newman.

AndyR

I doubt that PT will leave until we are in Administration. We can't afford to fire him and I doubt that he would now be a candidate for anything other than a job with a club at or around our level, presumably at a lower salary.

This situation is extremely unhealthy and someone ought to be looking at his contract to assess our options for getting out of this logjam.