• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Liverpool v Exeter City - Official Matchday Thread

Stuart Storer's Tache

There's an awful lot of BS on here this morning.

If Tis' strategy was to be cautious and defensive in the first half to leave us with a shout at the second half, it worked (who could deny that at 1-0 at half time we were still in the game? We only went 2 down as late as the 74th minute), but I have to say I think it worked more by luck than judgement. I also don't think he should have started the 3 old fogeys. I'm totally perplexed as to why he refuses to play Manny and McReady - if they're that **** he is massively at fault for buying them in the first place - but instead plays Butterfield and Oakley together in midfield. I'd also have Tillson over Butterfield any day of the week.

That said, when we started playing the way the 'attack attack attack' mob wanted us to in the second half, and with a line up getting closer to what we may have hoped to start with, we looked extremely vulnerable on the break and gave away many more clear cut chances (as well as the 2 goals). If we played that way in the first half they could have been out of sight by half time.

People seem to be forgetting that we were playing against much, much better players last night. As we were in the first game at SJP. The difference last night is that Liverpool reserves HAD played together before, were playing on a pitch that was less forgiving (anyone who's ever played football against a much better team knows how much this affects things, regardless of your own style of play) and Klopp had clearly managed to motivate and organise them in a much more effective way than he did in the first game, no surprise considering that at the time of the SJP match he'd never even seen some of them play.

The sense of entitlement to a cup shock at Anfield on here is ridiculous and shows very little understanding of the gulf in class between us and Liverpool reserves. By all means moan when Hoskins and Nicholls aren't showing cutting edge against Yeovil, but we're playing Liverpool, away, here.

And as seems usual for any FA Cup defeat we suffer (be it against Warrington or Liverpool), the 'I want an apology' brigade are piping up. Get over yourselves. It's a football match, not Alton Towers. You go in full knowledge that we might play well/play badly, win/lose/draw. Frankly how any of you went to Anfield last night expecting the same tight game we had at SJP is beyond me. Last night puts into perspective how well we did in the home game. Tis and players deserve huge credit for that and the financial reward it brought the club.

Atmosphere was OK, not incredible, as you come to expect from these sort of games. '10 German Bombers' was cringe-worthy, glad that the Red Legion have publicly distanced themselves from this. Who do you lot think you are, balding 40 year olds wearing Hackett polo shirts throwing chairs through a Belgian town square at Euro 2000? Embarrassing. Gerrard song was funny once, but the fact that more people seemed to join in with that than any pro-City (or anti Argyle) songs shows how many day-trippers were diluting the atmosphere.

So in summary, no, I didn't agree with Tis' starting line up, but it did keep us within a shout of getting something out of the game until the 74th minute.

And the sense of entitlement, overreaction and whinging on here is pathetic. Grow up and get on with supporting your team.

Roll on Accy Stanley.
Refreshing post "the morning after the night before"

I'd be inclined to agree with the assessment of the atmosphere, someone in an earlier post gave it 6/10 which I think is fair and probably a par score for a L2 side away at one of the big dogs in the FA Cup.

Whilst it was good and loud in parts, it didn't happen very often. largely due to factors already mentioned. Some of the shouts and chants were cringeworthy and embarrassing.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Clearly Tisdale didn't think he had done that. You may not agree with his tactics, but do you really think he picked that team in order to concede the tie?

Perhaps he is part of a betting syndicate.... Jeesh.
Did you hear his post-match interview?

Swanaldo

My shout was for Tisdale to apologise for conceding the tie before a ball was kicked, particularly to those who travelled.
And the smirking. Something's got to be done about the smirking.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you hear his post-match interview?
If he admitted throwing the game for his betting syndicate I'm going to look like a right fool....

Enlighten me Stroudy.

Mackster

Outstanding performance on the night from Liverpool's nippers, full of energy, invention and no little talent, and a big factor that's not been mentioned much, if at all, on this thread.

Perhaps Tillson and Grant might have matched them, but equally they could have been overawed and overrun too, we'll never know. As has already been said, the big loss was Noble beforehand, realism kicked in and the mindset was no longer one of cup upset more damage limitation, so Tis opted for experience.

The Accy game is a 6-pointer, that might have been in his thinking too.
But we have to play our youngsters in these games, it could be the making of them, they are out future, not Butterfield, Morrison & Oakley. For a club that needs to sell to survive, we need to use these games as a shop window.

StroudGrecian

If he admitted throwing the game for his betting syndicate I'm going to look like a right fool....

Enlighten me Stroudy.
Suggest you listen to the interview if you can find it online. Don't think there was mention of a betting syndicate (!), but his defence of his starting selection implied he thought there was nothing to play for.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Suggest you listen to the interview if you can find it online. Don't think there was mention of a betting syndicate (!), but his defence of his starting selection implied he thought there was nothing to play for.
Will do later.

I hope it's bad PR from Tis if that's how it came across (wouldn't be the first time), rather than an outright admission that he picked a team to lose.

STURTZ

As I've said on another thread, the team that we set out last night would have been beaten by Accrington.

On the up

Great match for City fans to enjoy. Full house at Anfield. WOW

However, felt so deflated when I saw the team sheet. As so many have said why play so many old, slow players in the same team? We'd have lost at leyton Orient with that line up. No midfield to track runners, or stop fullbacks from marauding forward without being challenged.
Thought brown, JMT, Ribs and Bobby acquitted themselves well, but obviously ran out of steam with 25mins left. Wonder what Tilson and Nichols thought of the team selection, must have been soul destroying to miss out on chance to start at Anfield. Or even worse watch their replacements have expected shockers against a known lively, technical side.

Still great cup run, lots of dosh for the club, hope we spend sone of it on good loan signings to help us push on up the league. Suspect yesterday's exertions may punish us on Saturday. With very little in the way of midfield, our defensive players plus Nicholls and Davies ran themselves into the ground.

Behind us now. I'll try to move on.

Up the City

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As I've said on another thread, the team that we set out last night would have been beaten by Accrington.
Unless he puts out the same team and they DO lose to Accrington, what's that got to do with the price of fish?

Leyton Orient last Saturday (which we won and were effing marvellous particularly in the first half) and Accrington this Saturday are, in the grand scheme of things, bigger and more important matches than the nice pay day with little chance of reward that was Anfield last night.

Hoping and praying that David Noble is fit for Saturday, mind. He is our fulcrum right now.