• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Liverpool v Exeter City - Official Matchday Thread

dontpassback

Perhaps Mr tisdale isn't a tactical genius after all ! Mcmanaman and James could not believe the line up and they only repeated what a lot of city fans were thinking.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's an awful lot of BS on here this morning.

If Tis' strategy was to be cautious and defensive in the first half to leave us with a shout at the second half, it worked (who could deny that at 1-0 at half time we were still in the game? We only went 2 down as late as the 74th minute), but I have to say I think it worked more by luck than judgement. I also don't think he should have started the 3 old fogeys. I'm totally perplexed as to why he refuses to play Manny and McReady - if they're that **** he is massively at fault for buying them in the first place - but instead plays Butterfield and Oakley together in midfield. I'd also have Tillson over Butterfield any day of the week.

That said, when we started playing the way the 'attack attack attack' mob wanted us to in the second half, and with a line up getting closer to what we may have hoped to start with, we looked extremely vulnerable on the break and gave away many more clear cut chances (as well as the 2 goals). If we played that way in the first half they could have been out of sight by half time.

People seem to be forgetting that we were playing against much, much better players last night. As we were in the first game at SJP. The difference last night is that Liverpool reserves HAD played together before, were playing on a pitch that was less forgiving (anyone who's ever played football against a much better team knows how much this affects things, regardless of your own style of play) and Klopp had clearly managed to motivate and organise them in a much more effective way than he did in the first game, no surprise considering that at the time of the SJP match he'd never even seen some of them play.

The sense of entitlement to a cup shock at Anfield on here is ridiculous and shows very little understanding of the gulf in class between us and Liverpool reserves. By all means moan when Hoskins and Nicholls aren't showing cutting edge against Yeovil, but we're playing Liverpool, away, here.

And as seems usual for any FA Cup defeat we suffer (be it against Warrington or Liverpool), the 'I want an apology' brigade are piping up. Get over yourselves. It's a football match, not Alton Towers. You go in full knowledge that we might play well/play badly, win/lose/draw. Frankly how any of you went to Anfield last night expecting the same tight game we had at SJP is beyond me. Last night puts into perspective how well we did in the home game. Tis and players deserve huge credit for that and the financial reward it brought the club.

Atmosphere was OK, not incredible, as you come to expect from these sort of games. '10 German Bombers' was cringe-worthy, glad that the Red Legion have publicly distanced themselves from this. Who do you lot think you are, balding 40 year olds wearing Hackett polo shirts throwing chairs through a Belgian town square at Euro 2000? Embarrassing. Gerrard song was funny once, but the fact that more people seemed to join in with that than any pro-City (or anti Argyle) songs shows how many day-trippers were diluting the atmosphere.

So in summary, no, I didn't agree with Tis' starting line up, but it did keep us within a shout of getting something out of the game until the 74th minute.

And the sense of entitlement, overreaction and whinging on here is pathetic. Grow up and get on with supporting your team.

Roll on Accy Stanley.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've long been a fan of Tisdale but no doubt he got it seriously wrong last night. I can understand playing the old feckers against less mobile and skilful L2 opposition, but by doing so last night he simply conceded the tie, which considering what the fans had to go through to get there IMO requires an apology.
Stroudy, you're one of the most reasoned posters on here, but think about this. You want an apology from Tisdale for a 3-0 away defeat at Liverpool, in which we only conceded the 2nd goal after 74 minutes?

Come on mate, get real.

Red Bill

Stroudy, you're one of the most reasoned posters on here, but think about this. You want an apology from Tisdale for a 3-0 away defeat at Liverpool, in which we only conceded the 2nd goal after 74 minutes?

Come on mate, get real.
Nobody wants an apology for losing 3-0 to Liverpool. I never really thought we had much chance of winning and couldn't really care less that we lost and would guess that most of the posters on here this morning feel the same, we all know they're much better players. Its the lack of any real memories that his dull as dishwater approach to a nothing to lose game delivered. The players who played in the first match served up a hugely entertaining, all action spectacle and thats what I'd hoped for. I couldn't care less about the result really!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It was due to bad finishing rather than good tactics that it was only 1-0 after 74 minutes big banker - if it had been 4 or 5 by then nobody could of questioned it

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was due to bad finishing rather than good tactics that it was only 1-0 after 74 minutes big banker - if it had been 4 or 5 by then nobody could of questioned it
I said above that I think we kept it to 1-0 for song long more by luck than judgement, but what do you expect away to a Premiership team? The finishing wasn't too shoddy for the last two goals.

At 1-0 we always had a (albeit slim) chance of nicking an equaliser (you've seen us concede those sort of equalisers after dominating games many times, so you should know that). If we had, Tis would have been hailed a genius. Which, of course, would have been incorrect, but the slating he's getting is (as usual) well out of proportion.

Grecian666

People seem to be forgetting that we were playing against much, much better players last night. As we were in the first game at SJP. The difference last night is that Liverpool reserves HAD played together before, were playing on a pitch that was less forgiving (anyone who's ever played football against a much better team knows how much this affects things, regardless of your own style of play) and Klopp had clearly managed to motivate and organise them in a much more effective way than he did in the first game, no surprise considering that at the time of the SJP match he'd never even seen some of them play.

We weren't playing much better players last night - we allowed them to be much better players

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nobody wants an apology for losing 3-0 to Liverpool.
Stroudy does.

I never really thought we had much chance of winning and couldn't really care less that we lost and would guess that most of the posters on here this morning feel the same, we all know they're much better players. Its the lack of any real memories that his dull as dishwater approach to a nothing to lose game delivered. The players who played in the first match served up a hugely entertaining, all action spectacle and thats what I'd hoped for. I couldn't care less about the result really!
It wouldn't have been dull as dishwater if at 0-0 or 1-0, which it was for the majority of the match, we'd have scored a goal. Any goal. Deflection, straight in from a corner, Mignolet own goal. It didn't happen, there was no 'big' memory. Deal with it, it's football. A League 2 side away at a Premier League side. Surprise, surprise, we struggled to get into the game.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
We weren't playing much better players last night - we allowed them to be much better players
Have a word with yourself.

Of course they are better players. Would you swap Ojo for Oakley/Noble/Tillson? Flanagan for Riberio?

If the answer is no, you're watching the wrong sport.

Grecian666

Have a word with yourself.

Of course they are better players. Would you swap Ojo for Oakley/Noble/Tillson? Flanagan for Riberio?

If the answer is no, you're watching the wrong sport.
think your missing my point - your original post said "we were playing against much, much better players last night. As we were in the first game at SJP." Since the team was, bar a couple of (still reserves) exceptions, the same. Therefore I do not agree that we were playing much better players THAN AT SJP cause effectively it was almost the same team. We were playing the SAME players. The reason as a unit they PLAYED better against us than at SJP was because we allowed them to. Subtle difference I know - but think it through.

Had a word with myself, suggest you do to.