• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The amount of standing charge per day charged by energy suppliers.
Was about to renew my Gas/Electric contract & it’s risen from 8p a day(for each fuel) to 24p a day(combined £175 a year!).
Time to look on my uSwitch app.
The standing charge was abolished when the energy market opened up,there was no need for it because the emergency service part,transmission & metering was included in the unit cost of energy.

Then the suppliers thought there was easy money to be made from UK consumers.

Money for old rope..
On that note, on a FB discussion forum I belong to someone posted a link to a Grauniad article comparing prices in 1969 and now. The unit cost of electricity is one of the few things that is in the same sort of ballpark as the inflation-adjusted cost in '69 - the inflation-adjusted cost in '69 being 12.9p per kwh, the actual cost being 14.4p per kwh.

Now, Tube fares, on the other hand......!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The amount of standing charge per day charged by energy suppliers.
Was about to renew my Gas/Electric contract & it’s risen from 8p a day(for each fuel) to 24p a day(combined £175 a year!).
Time to look on my uSwitch app.
The standing charge was abolished when the energy market opened up,there was no need for it because the emergency service part,transmission & metering was included in the unit cost of energy.

Then the suppliers thought there was easy money to be made from UK consumers.

Money for old rope..
Well worth the effort Olds. As a household who use relatively little in the way of actual units that Standing Charge used to actually constitute a staggering proportion of our cost (up to 30%). In our case we used to find it offensive to be paying £0.52 a day just for the "pleasure" of giving them our business.
Shopping around last year, but accepting a slightly higher unit rate but lower standing charge this proportion is now reduced to about 17.5% - and, overall, we are now saving about £150 a year on actual cost of about £1100pa. For our situation and usage s.c is now down to £0.36 per day and still with lower unit rates than we were paying a year ago as well!
I won't mention the name of our previous (mendatious) supplier, but suffice it to say that they were "Bleddy Greedy"!!!

We're also on a fixed one year tariff until next March (we switched just before last April's - regulator condoned - price hike) so no nasty surprises over the winter, but we will be comparing prices again next February ready for 2020-21.

PS: Does anyone else remember those good old days when customer loyalty used to be REWARDED rather than penalised??? :mad:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure where to put this really as there isn't a "little things that bemuse/baffle you" thread so probably annoyance wins out over amusement.

We sometimes see people bringing their dogs onto the Tube, but today there was a chap with a cat on the Tube at rush hour - yes, he was bearded, with three-quarter length denims and no socks under brown shoes and reading a book with a "shocking" title involving an expletive. Presumably works in Shoreditch. EDIT: The man, I mean, not the cat.

The poor cat looked absolutely terrified.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not sure where to put this really as there isn't a "little things that bemuse/baffle you" thread so probably annoyance wins out over amusement.

We sometimes see people bringing their dogs onto the Tube, but today there was a chap with a cat on the Tube at rush hour - yes, he was bearded, with three-quarter length denims and no socks under brown shoes and reading a book with a "shocking" title involving an expletive. Presumably works in Shoreditch. EDIT: The man, I mean, not the cat.

It might well have been the case of the cat taking his human to work?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be more likely to offer the cat a job.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

Good call this, start the thread. I seem to spend half me life scratching my head and thinking "wtf was that all about ?"

StroudGrecian

On their way to Lady Dinah's?

ecfc70

Traffic updates or more to the point when they cut in over a song and then cut out again before they give you any information plus when you get the only one of your journey when you are almost there.....cheers for that

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There's a chap who every so often decides to set up camp (I think possibly outside one of the local tube/Thameslink stations) with a violin connected to an amp, and starts busking.

Nowt wrong with that, you may think, but he has a repertoire of about 5 songs which he then plays several times over.

Just heard "Time to Say Goodbye" ring out, so I know I'll be "treated" to "If I Were a Rich Man" and the other couple of songs very soon. And again a few minutes later.

Spoonz Red E

There's a chap who every so often decides to set up camp (I think possibly outside one of the local tube/Thameslink stations) with a violin connected to an amp, and starts busking.

Nowt wrong with that, you may think, but he has a repertoire of about 5 songs which he then plays several times over.

Just heard "Time to Say Goodbye" ring out, so I know I'll be "treated" to "If I Were a Rich Man" and the other couple of songs very soon. And again a few minutes later.
"Time to Say Goodbye" and "If I Were a Rich Man".
Subliminal advertising for more pennies in his hat.