• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
....aand breathe.

Thank you.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marcus Rashford and his PR crusade.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The film thread that has seemingly descended into an old farts’ conversation about what actors did in the war.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just read the BBC have suspended a football pundit, one Steve Thompson, for describing an onfield scuffle as "handbags".

Where is it going to end ?

Rosencrantz

I've just read the BBC have suspended a football pundit, one Steve Thompson, for describing an onfield scuffle as "handbags".

Or three "sexist" comments in twenty minutes following a previous written warning about his language.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-bbc-pundit-suspended-for-labelling-player-tussle-as-handbags-20201128.amp.html

I know the "handbags" description is a bit weak as it has been long used as a description and plenty will disagree with the other misdemeanours being that worth the bother but there you go.

Acceptable language and its use has always been forever evolving in both directions. You didn't get the amount of swearing or blasphemy being used in media as you do now and other phrases are now frowned on.

STURTZ

Perhaps he should have said "manbags"

Grecian2K

Perhaps he should have said "manbags"
Or "gladrags"?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The film thread that has seemingly descended into an old farts’ conversation about what actors did in the war.
I suppose I'm the guilty one because I believe there are some among us who admired film stars who dropped everything to serve their country and in many cases won recognition for bravery as did Basil Rathbone on being awarded the Military Cross in WW1. Incidentally, I understand that Rathbone's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is still considered the finest. And as for his fencing prowess - he was twice British Army Champion and went on to coach Errol Flynn in their swashbuckling movies.

As for the super-duper modern heroes in modern films.. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2001/nov/19/news1

DB9

I suppose I'm the guilty one because I believe there are some among us who admired film stars who dropped everything to serve their country and in many cases won recognition for bravery as did Basil Rathbone on being awarded the Military Cross in WW1. Incidentally, I understand that Rathbone's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is still considered the finest. And as for his fencing prowess - he was twice British Army Champion and went on to coach Errol Flynn in their swashbuckling movies.

As for the super-duper modern heroes in modern films.. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2001/nov/19/news1
TBF Just as guilty myself Stuffy, Plus it's interesting to see what they did during that time. (Rathbone and Bruce, Best Holmes and Watson ever 👍)

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Yes, but it's little to do with a review of a film you've seen recently. Just start a new thread called 'what actors did in the war' or something like that.