• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fly tipping of household trash
Oliver Hardy had a conviction for tie flipping.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
As far as I know, all of Devon's non-recyclable waste is burned and converted to electricity. We don't send anything to landfill sites.
Good to know, I was quoting a refuse collector who told me about the landfill(it was around 3 years ago)

Antony Moxey

As far as I know, all of Devon's non-recyclable waste is burned and converted to electricity. We don't send anything to landfill sites.
The one at Plymouth closed a long time ago, followed by Heathfield near Newton Abbot in about 2015ish then Broadpath near Uffculme around 2019. I’ve surveyed all three in the past, but only saw the end of Chelston Meadow. Broadpath is sited in an old sand and gravel quarry that I first surveyed in the mid 80s, unfortunately we lost our Viridor contract so would have seen Broadpath from its inception to its closure 25 years later.

I think they may be looking to reopen Heathfield though as the conversion sites don’t have enough capacity at the moment.

Those were the days trampsing over acres of binbags - all three sites were fairly massive and used to take a huge tonnage daily.

Alistair20000

Is the burning process seen as climate friendly ?

Swanaldo

Appatently it's Zero Emission, Al. Not sure what they do with the used filters though...

Colesman Ballz

Appatently it's Zero Emission, Al. Not sure what they do with the used filters though...
Not sure that I believe that it is actually ZERO emission or I wouldn't be able to smell it so frequently ! Often seems to be done in the middle of the night, when they think less people will notice ! When the prevailing wind direction is from the south west why on earth did they build a ruddy plant on the sw side of Exeter ?

Alistair20000

Folk walking close across behind the back of the car when I am reversing and their smug look as I stop.

iscalad

Folk walking close across behind the back of the car when I am reversing and their smug look as I stop.
Don't stop. They won't be smug then.

Alistair20000

Don't stop. They won't be smug then.
I am always very tempted :)

Oldsmobile-88

When you do the right thing for people.They take no notice, then all they want to do is ‘screw you over’ *

* I shall have the last laugh.