• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lionesses

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yet people say international football is competitive!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet people say international football is competitive!
In Men's football it generally is competitive.

I think until every nation invests in their women's team it will always be this way.

angelic upstart

In Men's football it generally is competitive.

I think until every nation invests in their women's team it will always be this way.
You can only beat what's in front of you. May be worthwhile for all international football to have a mildly two tier system though as no one gains from losing by large margins regularly.

Rosencrantz

It's worth remembering that routine spankings were also part of men's international football (and still are as we have seen recently). It wasn't too long ago that Turkey were viewed as cannon fodder in the eighties and before. It takes time for any sport to develop in countries and football is no exception. Once interest and funding improves in the less competitive countries, standards will rise. It is a pain that has to be got through first and these teams will start to be more competitive.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can only beat what's in front of you. May be worthwhile for all international football to have a mildly two tier system though as no one gains from losing by large margins regularly.
Totally agree, it's a bit like the San Marino debate in Men's football. I think the difference is, there are a lot fewer 'competitive' teams in Women's football. A cluster of countries have obviously invested in the Women's game and the results are showing this.

les.gtfc

It's worth remembering that routine spankings were also part of men's international football (and still are as we have seen recently). It wasn't too long ago that Turkey were viewed as cannon fodder in the eighties and before. It takes time for any sport to develop in countries and football is no exception. Once interest and funding improves in the less competitive countries, standards will rise. It is a pain that has to be got through first and these teams will start to be more competitive.
Not been many 20 nils though, unless you're talking Australia v American Samoa which I think was 31-0 a while back.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bradford always like a routine spanking at SJP according to Uncle Derek !

Spoonz Red E

I have a different take on this.
The vast differences in scoreline suggest how much scope there is for serious development in skills, funding and coaching within women's football.
The women's game is still playing catch-up after decades of being ignored.

Not all countries are geared up or committed to this development but a competitive platform at international level is one way to keep pushing at it.
This coupled with stronger and bigger football pyramids for domestic women's football is the way forward.

It's interesting to watch the recent vid on our own Exeter City Women's team twitter feed.
Notice the level of training and coaching they are getting now and see how that translated into the build-up and finishes against Eastleigh last week as well the clean sheet.

Red Devon

Quite a result.One which will be no good to either side.
A few double figure scores in Women’s International Football in the past few weeks.I think I saw a 19-0 reported.
I don’t think it is a good look for international women’s football & will inevitably fuel arguments.
I think it’s FIFA’s way of trying to grow the women’s game around the world at the moment without worrying too much about it’s competitiveness

iscalad

A version of the European Nations league might be the way forward.