• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lionesses

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great character to come from behind in a difficult game and find a way to beat Spain tonight. Great strike by Georgia Stanway for the extra time winner. Wish the men's team had a midfielder who has the range of passing of Kira Walsh.

Spoonz Red E

Spain's movement and passing were superb.

Great goal to win it for England.

What an enjoyable and tense game to watch.

Rosencrantz

Spain's movement and passing were superb.

Great goal to win it for England.

What an enjoyable and tense game to watch.
I thought Spain's fullbacks really did a job on Lauren Hemp and Beth Mead who have been key players going forward for us in the competition. In fact they were dangerous out wide all night with their wingers as well, with Daly in particular having a hard time and she got caught out for the goal.

Russo's physicality up front and Kelly's direct pace as subs made a difference and got us back into the game.

Really good game to watch.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Great character to come from behind in a difficult game and find a way to beat Spain tonight. Great strike by Georgia Stanway for the extra time winner. Wish the men's team had a midfielder who has the range of passing of Kira Walsh.
According to Adrian Chiles mixed football is the future so your wish might come true...

geoffwp

I was very very impressed, particularly when I guess they are having to fit training around sorting out the kids, shopping, cooking and cleaning etc. Great effort ladies.😱😲🤔

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was very very impressed, particularly when I guess they are having to fit training around sorting out the kids, shopping, cooking and cleaning etc. Great effort ladies.😱😲🤔
Seconded a gutsy, thoroughly professional performance and well worth watching.

Next up either Sweden or Belgium get through and a potential final against Germany.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Have been watching and enjoying each match they have played. If they reach the final I can only watch the first half as am due to start work at 6.

Now for the mens euros my workplace closed early to allow people to watch, now I think it’s only fair if the same thing happens for the lionesses….

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Enjoyed the game last night. I watch quite a lot of the England's Women's team and have done for probably 10 years or more - it's improved so much and I genuinely think it's watchable.

Spain were by far the better team last night, England went hell for leather in the last 10 minutes, got their goal and the momentum swung to a point there was only going to be one winner.

Great strike from Stanway for the winner but at the risk of sounding like PeteUSA, should the keeper have done better? It wasn't in the top corner, wasn't that high. Women's goalkeeping always gets a lot of stick but that is an example of where if the Spanish men's keeper was in goal, that doesn't go in (probably because of height differences in fairness).

Anyway, onto the next - be great to see the ladies win the whole thing.

Rosencrantz

As to whether the goalkeeper should have done better with the winner, I never think comparing it to a men's game and saying De Gea (eg) would have saved it is relevant. Both keepers on the pitch last night were 5"7 (5"3 in Pate measurements 😉) playing in a full size goal. It's like saying of the women's World Championship High Jump winning height of 2.02m a couple of days ago, "Javier Bardem would have easily cleared that height".

It will probably change as men's football did and at some point size, pace and physicality will become as important, if not more, as technique. As you rarely see any men's professional goalkeeper or centre backs under six foot these days (Christy and JMT I know 🙂), the women's professional game will start looking at it and eventually an equivalence will happen.

For now we either enjoy it for what it is or not like any sport that men and women both play.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Semi Final tomorrow night, think England should get past Sweden then it'll be a tough Final against either Germany or France.