• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leyton Orient v Exeter City Matchday Thread - 1900

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with GNH about our corners. They are dreadful at the moment and need a complete overhaul, especially the *%$#* short ones.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
What I did notice last night and this is the bit which excites me is that both wingers were coming in field a lot more to make themselves available and support Bowman and Jay, and once this understanding works it could prove invaluable. Bowman had a carp first half and was up to his current season standard in winning (or lack of) challenges with the central defenders, but second half he improved immensely. What he does bring to the game is not goals as everyone would hope for but he ties up two defenders in the game allowing those around him to capitalise - Randall 4 Jay 4 and Taylor 3. If Williams was on song like last year when sides were having to put two onto him, then these two players would effectively occupy 4 of the opposition defenders, for the others like Jay Collins Taylor Randall and Key to exploit. If not Williams this year it could be Randall or Key but it does look promising.
Listening to Matt's post match comments it sounds as though he was hoping that crosses from the left could be met by the head of Key running in at the far post David Wheeler style. Didn't really come off although we could have expected some good crosses from Williams and Sparkes, certainly a ploy that could work for us in the future.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with GNH about our corners. They are dreadful at the moment and need a complete overhaul, especially the *%$#* short ones.
I don't understand why Williams seems to get first dibs on corners and direct free kicks. Very seldom is there an end product.

hillview red

And Nicky Law when he plays. Brilliant player but his delivery lacks pace and whip. For me, it should be Sparkes from the right and Jay from the left... They appear to be most accurate and also provide a bit of pace and dip on the cross.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Listening to Matt's post match comments it sounds as though he was hoping that crosses from the left could be met by the head of Key running in at the far post David Wheeler style. Didn't really come off although we could have expected some good crosses from Williams and Sparkes, certainly a ploy that could work for us in the future.
Good to see Matt talking about partnerships developing all over the pitch. Caprice and Key on the right looked good and Sparkes and Williams is a promising work in progress. I was never a fan of 3 5 2 and like this shape much better