• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leyton Orient v Exeter City Matchday thread 14/08/2021 3pm KO

CityTillIDie

What I’m worried about is if MT has become stagnant at the club (hard to tell this early on obviously) have the club learnt their lesson from tis, or will we hold on to him for an eternity and not appoint anyone new. I really hope this is not the case.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Early days....Playing a similar out of sorts Bristol Rovers on Saturday,that will be interesting.

arthur

We had plenty of quotes from players about how Mr Tizza was good to work for.
I suspect there may be something in the theory that MT does not command such loyalty and respect.
Are there any glowing testimonials from existing or former players about what a great boss Matt is?

Does the absence of the above (if there is one) tell us anything?

Has any former player publicly rubbished him ?

andrew p long

A couple of lists on the topics of players keenness to be at City and about turnover.

1. Players *in 2021* who have decided to leave when under contract or offered a new contract

Taylor, Law, Page, McArdle, Randall, Bowman, Randell Williams, Ward (on loan), Sweeney

2. 8 Players signed two summers ago pre Covid when we were in decent financial shape. Seven have since gone (Ward,Maxted,Parkes, Warren , Ajose,Fisher. and Smerdon).

One is still at SJP - Atangana

LDNGrecian

I said it when mcardle left, clubs have players leave all the time but to have almost the entirety of your senior players leave is unheard of (apart from in financial difficulty).
Ward, Maxted, McArdle, Page, Parkes, Taylor, Sweeney (tried to leave), Bowman, Fisher. Only senior players who stayed was Nigel and Caprice (have 1 more year on contracts). We saw the problems he had with Aaron Martin who was a very good l2 defender. (Just seen Andrew do the similar in previous post!)

Taylor also refused to take any blame for yesterday. Kept saying that other aspects were just ’excuses’. Where is his self reflection to say that we didn’t know how to play tactically against Orient. We didn’t respond or change anything. Taking Jay off instead of Seymour shows he’s just acting on emotion rather than thinking.

Last edited:

LDNGrecian

Also to the fans who sing the new Matt Jay song about tisdale thinking he was crap… if only you knew the finer details of Jays 3 year deal that tisdale gave him before he left 😂

Number13

Its a terrible result but it is just one result so that must be put aside

The issue is, as I tried to point out numerous times, the squad is too thin. Yes, we do great with our kids but keep putting squad lists on here and the website with 30 names on is daft. We have barely 11 players who are known to be L2 capable and at least 5 are missing for Tuesday

We get to caught up in a throw away line about "Marquee signings". Nonsense. We are never going to sign good current players in their prime. Much as you lot hate to admit it, Tisdale was right when he said we will be the first or last call a player / agent makes. We have turned some players rejected by Prem clubs into solid City players (Dunne, Troy, lad from Chelsea whose name escapes me) and we have had some old geezers who have done well as they have bought into something (Curo, Edwards). Our recruitment needs to target these types of people. What did a lot of them have in common? Character. How any of our current squad have character? None. I suspect that, rather like Lambert higher up, Taylor just doesnt want those people around who might challenge him, he wants despearate kids who will do anything to keep a contract - Seymour is a great example - terrible player but quietly goes about being terrible and takes all the flak

What I want to know from Taylor (and in general Ive backed him until this summer) is what is our first 11 and in what formation? What is our plan B when that doesnt work? What signings did he miss out on and why?

Number13

I get this impression a lot. Comes across terribly as a man manager. What gets me... Is as a player, there was nothing worse than your manager shouting at you on the sidelines. Taylor does that for 90 minutes. It must really get on all the players nerves and I'd be amazed if many of the first team players really like him.
Yet when Tisdale didnt shout, people also moaned. What do you want? I tell you what, a manager who does the right things at the right times. Times to be quiet, times to shout, times to be honest, times to help the players out, good recruitment that shows an understanding of the club and of the league and of the situation.

Number13

Have to agree with the commentary team, no real leaders have stepped forward this season as of yet. Thought losing Taylor wouldn’t be the end of the world, but we look lost without him.
You dont know what youve got til its gone
People who have been watching Scumnage have all said how hes bossing their games and their midfield
You need experience and you need leaders and you need people in central areas who know their jobs
Jake did and should have been retained. I realise he wanted to "go home" but hes a footballer, offer him more money and he'll stay another two years - hes got 60 years to live in Ascot

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Also to the fans who sing the new Matt Jay song about tisdale thinking he was crap… if only you knew the finer details of Jays 3 year deal that tisdale gave him before he left 😂
Tisdale publicly said Jay was the club's most skilful player.