• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lego St James Park

cuzman1977

Someone had to do it.....

I was reading a football blog some time last year. There was a link to a thread which had Lego stadia and models of Lego ground stands etc.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157301

I found it interesting and then kind of forgot about it. Then one day just before Christmas I came across a discarded copy of Loot on the train. I had nothing better to do in the journey so I flicked through the pages. Passing St James Park station and then Sandy Park on the way back to Exmouth from Exeter Central, my mind suddenly thought back to that thread I had seen, so I checked the toy pages in Loot and saw an advert for a massive box of Lego bricks.

I was only down to visit the family for Christmas as I have long since moved to London, so I didn't follow that advert up, but needless to say, when I got back to London after spending Christmas with the family, I checked out my local copy of Loot and ended up with a pile of Lego bricks and a voice in my head saying "what are you getting yourself into?"

Anyway, after starting off with the Flybe I found that I needed a few extra bits to start completing the project, so I left it for a couple of months and then went on eBay and Lego.com where you can get individual intricate bricks for tuppence-ha'penny.

After carefully spending over £130 now, I am just waiting on a few bits to be able to carry the project through to fruition, but I couldn't help myself any longer and thought that I should throw a bone out here for your anticipation of the final product.

-------------------------------------

Some statements about the project:

1) The size of the Lego pitch is 90 x 44 Lego dots. Hardly regulation dimensions, but you work with what you have.

2) Nothing is precisely to scale. Until you try this yourself you won't realise that you cannot add specific detail without finding that you are making a slight caricature of the stands in contrast to the pitch size you are working with.

3) Nothing is finished yet. I am still tinkering with all of the stands.

4) I know that the Grandstand doesn't have a red roof but I had a ton of red roof bricks and zero grey roof bricks, so the current roof is an experiment to see how many grey roof bricks I need to individually order from Lego.com (because grey roof bricks aren't exactly available in boxes in Toys 'R' Us). Just use your imagination and pretend it's grey for the time being.

5) I now have enough green bricks left over from my construction of the back of the Grandstand to be able to build Argyle's new 1,500 capacity 2013 Saltash stadium in its' entirety, which I might do for a laugh in a couple of year's time.

What's next?

1) Keep working on it (when the necessary bricks arrive) and give weekly photo updates on this thread. i.e......

a) Get some more grey bricks so I can finish off the back of the Big Bank and then put the roof on.

b) Do the steps on the side of the Big Bank.

c) Get some thin yellow strips to do the walkways on the Big Bank

d) Change those red roof bricks on the Grandstand for grey roof bricks.

e) Build the away end, as I only have a slight template at the moment.

f) Do the bit in between the Flybe and the away end. That will be exciting.

g) Add some random stuff which will touch up the areas behind each stand.

h) Take 22 Lego men down to Games Workshop and pay them to paint City and Argyle shirts on them. This can then become a lasting memorial of the last time we ever play each other in the league.

2) Set up a website dedicated to Lego stadia and stands, with my St James Park effort in great prominence.

3) Register on every dirty fans forum around the country (even PASOTI) and invite those uneducated reprobates to find engineering and architectural solutions to create something of their own ground in Lego like we will soon have for ECFC. Not much hope from the scummers I expect.

Anyway, no pics = no proof. You've read enough, and I talk a lot of sheite.. Comments, suggestions, abuse all welcome.......

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
pretty impressive. good work

cuzman1977

Very good though you've made the away end look much more impressive than in real-life.

cuzman1977

Like I said, lots of work to do still. I'l check this thread every couple of days and I'll keep reposting on the progress.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lovely. Please do keep us up to date with photographs.

Train-spotting must be out of fashion now :)

Last edited:
Vey impressive. Well done. As you said expect some abuse from the knobheads.

cuzman1977

Very good though you've made the away end look much more impressive than in real-life.
In terms of the away end, forget the last line of bricks. Then I still have to stick a double line of bricks to form the back wall on top of what is already there. Then work out the enclosure. I reckon that will be about right.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
ha good work. the sort of thing every man secretly wants to do.