• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One 20/21

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Saw the Sunderland team in Exeter Airport yesterday.

Alistair20000

Saw the Sunderland team in Exeter Airport yesterday.
One feels sorry for them having to go down the A38 to Britain’s Ocean City.

Let’s hope they give the Gargs a good thrashing

sign of the chimes

It's felt like a very close division this year; but going in to next Sunday's games it will be down to a few teams fighting over the final play-off spot in L1. Looks like our clubs in a similar position going in to the final weekend of the season.

Red Devon

Portsmouth miss out on a playoff place after a surprisingly losing at home to Accrington Stanley.

Blackpool, Sunderland, Lincoln and Oxford make up the playoff hopefuls, personally I’d like to see Lincoln have a go at Championship life.

DB9

Portsmouth miss out on a playoff place after a surprisingly losing at home to Accrington Stanley.

Blackpool, Sunderland, Lincoln and Oxford make up the playoff hopefuls, personally I’d like to see Lincoln have a go at Championship life.
As we miss out too, Other than Sunderland, The other three teams have played us in the same league recently and have past and waved as they got promoted, Now looking to get into the 2nd tier. :(

sign of the chimes

Or inevitable if you're a Pompey fan... To be fair this group didn't deserve the play-offs - we've regressed over the past couple of years and overall recruitment has been pretty poor. The club stuck with Kenny Jackett for a season too long.

Tough call on who goes up from the four - two teams with streaky managers (i.e. they go on long winning/not winning streaks) in Lee Johnson's Sunderland and Karl Robinson's Oxford. Lincoln and Blackpool have probably outperformed expectations. I've got a soft spot for Michael Appleton who managed at Fratton under very difficult circumstances a few years back and has done a brilliant job at Lincoln. They had an incredible start to the season and dropped off a bit before getting back on track but can't help feeling that they may come up a bit short. Blackpool look really solid and if they can keep key players fit would probably be my favourite to get up - not a bad rookie full season for Neil Critchley. It would be nice to see them continue their renaissance having ridded themselves of the Oystons too.

sign of the chimes

As we miss out too, Other than Sunderland, The other three teams have played us in the same league recently and have past and waved as they got promoted, Now looking to get into the 2nd tier. :(
What's got to be encouraging is that whilst money/resource is clearly a big determinent in where you end up that there's still a chance of getting up from L2 and using the momentum to get in to the Championship if a club is well run off the pitch and performs well on it. Wycombe were there this season and weren't a million miles off retaining their status under Ainsworth. I'm pretty sure they had a mid-lower table L2 budget when they went up from League One. Luton have stayed in there as well.

Whilst it doesn't feel good today I think there's probably something very healthy about the fact that Accrington (with almost certainly a bottom 4 budget in L1) were still in with a chance of a L1 playoff place less than two weeks ago and dealt us a knockout blow today.

DB9

What's got to be encouraging is that whilst money/resource is clearly a big determinent in where you end up that there's still a chance of getting up from L2 and using the momentum to get in to the Championship if a club is well run off the pitch and performs well on it. Wycombe were there this season and weren't a million miles off retaining their status under Ainsworth. I'm pretty sure they had a mid-lower table L2 budget when they went up from League One. Luton have stayed in there as well.

Whilst it doesn't feel good today I think there's probably something very healthy about the fact that Accrington (with almost certainly a bottom 4 budget in L1) were still in with a chance of a L1 playoff place less than two weeks ago and dealt us a knockout blow today.
I'm quite "Proud" of Accy, For such a small club they have done really well. As for Pompey, The Crowley's contracts are up, Do they deserve a new, long one or give someone else a chance?

sign of the chimes

I'm quite "Proud" of Accy, For such a small club they have done really well. As for Pompey, The Crowley's contracts are up, Do they deserve a new, long one or give someone else a chance?
Re. Accy - definitely. John Coleman has done an amazing job there. I don't agree with everything Andy Holt comes out with but he clearly has his club's interests at heart and the pair of them can be rightly proud of where they are. I hope they continue to prosper.

I've been really impressed with the Cowleys and their approach since they've come in. I'd be delighted if I woke up tomorrow and discovered they'd signed a three-year deal. No guarantees in football, of course - but we need to start a rebuild that goes beyond the first XI and I think they've got good experience of involvement in that from their time in non-league.

DB9

Re. Accy - definitely. John Coleman has done an amazing job there. I don't agree with everything Andy Holt comes out with but he clearly has his club's interests at heart and the pair of them can be rightly proud of where they are. I hope they continue to prosper.

I've been really impressed with the Cowleys and their approach since they've come in. I'd be delighted if I woke up tomorrow and discovered they'd signed a three-year deal. No guarantees in football, of course - but we need to start a rebuild that goes beyond the first XI and I think they've got good experience of involvement in that from their time in non-league.
Need a decent promotion push next season? I feel with 18k ST holders and a Chairman who's seems pretty decent you need to have a real go at L1 next season otherwise you will be known as a L1 club that could end up as that bunch of clubs in all divisions that never seem to go up or down.