• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One 20/21

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to have a dedicated thread.

Banksy

Good to have a dedicated thread.
Be even better and more interesting if we’d been in it I’m afraid.

sign of the chimes

It's going to be an interesting season (I'd have liked you to be in it as well as enjoyed a couple of visits to Exeter when our paths crossed in League 2).

The teams coming down are in various states of disarray. I'm profoundly worried for both Charlton and Wigan for different reasons. It feels like both are looking at existential threats. The former because of some of the parties involved, the latter because of the magnitude of their debts coupled with the wider global context at the moment. Whatever the rights and wrongs, and the reason that their clubs find themselves in the position they're in; I pity any football fan facing losing their club. Hull are just in a bad place - the owners seem to be using the club as a cash cow and the morale is at rock bottom (e.g. 7-0 down to Wigan and half-time in the lockdown matches); that's difficult to arrest. They're in a better position generally and should, at least, be able to compete.

Of the teams coming up, I'd expect your local rivals to be competitive - it seems they've got an owner who'll support them and Lowe has a fairly high stock in the lower leagues. At this stage I'd predict Crewe to be a dark horse, just because of the sort of unit they are under another highly rated manager in Artell. You'd have to think Swindon will struggle given the court case which suggests they're a bit of a basket case who are about to be found out. Losing Eoin Doyle isn't going to aid their cause. Northampton will be well organised and physical.

So, of the newbies, you'd think Hull and Plymouth could do well and Crewe might surprise people. Outside of that you've got others who are likely to do well - you'd always expect Peterborough to compete - they're a top-end L1/bottom end Championship set-up; Ipswich and Sunderland are both competitive at L1 level even in basket-case mode and Doncaster tend to do okay. There'll be a dark horse in there (Lincoln, under Appleton, perhaps or maybe the Ben Garner approach at Bristol Rovers will pay off).

At this stage, though, I'll just be happy for a season to get underway and some element of fans back at the games. Although I'm a STH at Pompey I'm not too fussed about getting back myself under social distancing, and on that basis won't be sharp elbowed about getting tickets if capacity is around 20-30% (so long as I can keep my current seat if and when things do get back to normal); but as lovely as it has been having some football back over the last couple of months, it's just not the same without supporters in the stadium. It would also be nice to get a sense that the general situation is coming under some control - I worry that we're not going to see any crowds before 2021; but hope that's just me being a pessimist.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Charlton Athletic are being threatened with expulsion from the EFL if the don't get their ownership issues sorted.

Colesman Ballz

Charlton Athletic are being threatened with expulsion from the EFL if the don't get their ownership issues sorted.
Maybe the EFL will offer their place back to Macc ? :)

Red Devon

Hope Charlton can sort there problems out, a trip to the Valley is very high on my favourite away days.

Colesman Ballz

Hope Charlton can sort there problems out, a trip to the Valley is very high on my favourite away days.
You must be severely vertically challenged, the seats in that away end must is designed for school kids, adults need levering into them ! I have never been more uncomfortable at a match ! :mad:

Colesman Ballz

Wigan will not start the season in League 1 unless the sale of the Club to new owners is completed by the 31st August , according the adminstrators. They cannot and will not commit to starting a new season in Administration.

League 1 now potentially could start the season with just 22 clubs ?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wigan will not start the season in League 1 unless the sale of the Club to new owners is completed by the 31st August , according the adminstrators. They cannot and will not commit to starting a new season in Administration.

I can think of a club in League 2 that would take a vacant spot in League 1...

DB9

Bury's arrogant chairman would probably write to the EFL asking to replace either if it happens!