• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One 20/21

sign of the chimes

I know there is no god given right to get promoted but for the last few seasons we've either been in the play offs or just off them and i know its hard to get out but i think we need to get there to develope as a club, Like i said off field we're really strong, But on the field we're just that little short. As for MT being given the time most managers aren't, I think it can lead to being too comfortable and i think he needs to be set a target if given the funds.
btw - that wasn't a dig re 'getting there' just an observation that it's always going to be a challenge for any team to finish in a promotion spot - whereas unless you're punching hugely above your weight to get promoted in the first place; if you've got a sound side you have a decent chance of survival.

My comment on MT wasn't meant to convey an opinion either way on his suitability or otherwise. It would be weird if fans weren't at least asking questions and evaluating his performance three seasons in (I say that as someone who never really warmed to Kenny Jackett or his football). I'd be asking a) has the team made tangible progress under his managment?; and if the answer to a) is 'no'; b) are there justifiable reasons for that? I'd be particularly thinking about those questions if I were thinking about putting some more money in to the playing side of things rather than seeing next season as another of consolidation.

To go back towards the original topic: L1 is an oddity. There are nearly always three or four sides in a bit of a freefall (e.g. owner pulled plug on funding, etc.), a couple of surprise packages having a terrible season, and a couple of smaller teams trying to survive/consolidate. Hence my comment on establishing/staying in L1 being potentially easier than getting there in the first place.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
btw - that wasn't a dig re 'getting there' just an observation that it's always going to be a challenge for any team to finish in a promotion spot - whereas unless you're punching hugely above your weight to get promoted in the first place; if you've got a sound side you have a decent chance of survival.

My comment on MT wasn't meant to convey an opinion either way on his suitability or otherwise. It would be weird if fans weren't at least asking questions and evaluating his performance three seasons in (I say that as someone who never really warmed to Kenny Jackett or his football). I'd be asking a) has the team made tangible progress under his managment?; and if the answer to a) is 'no'; b) are there justifiable reasons for that? I'd be particularly thinking about those questions if I were thinking about putting some more money in to the playing side of things rather than seeing next season as another of consolidation.

To go back towards the original topic: L1 is an oddity. There are nearly always three or four sides in a bit of a freefall (e.g. owner pulled plug on funding, etc.), a couple of surprise packages having a terrible season, and a couple of smaller teams trying to survive/consolidate. Hence my comment on establishing/staying in L1 being potentially easier than getting there in the first place.
Don't worry, There are plenty of Grecian fans given their opinions on MT here on Exeweb, I think for us to get into L1 would be such a big moment, Especially if we manage to establish ourselves there, This is my own personal opinion but I'm sick and tired of seeing clubs come up from the NL and "overtaking" us and getting promoted, I just think "Why can't that be us?" I don't think we've made any progress (On the pitch) over the last decade since we were relegated from L1, Has MT himself made progress as a manager since he got the job? He's always been honest in his interviews but our play, Especially in the 2nd half of this season it seems he's has trouble coming up with a plan B, Also you ask a big question about a decent budget and trusting MT to use it wisely, For me the Jury's out, We don't often get a decent budget and if he blew it, How long before we can afford a next decent budget? I do know this summer will be a hugely important for MT and ECFC, Our pitch needs sorting and not on the cheap and we need quality players who aren't carrying injuries and don't contribute to the team.

Oldsmobile-88

3,145 fans allowed into Sincil Bank for the Play Off game against Sunderland.

Colesman Ballz

And an air raid siren ? :unsure:

Banksy

This thread is like staring into the promised land , something we can never hope to aspire to. Now , on the transfer‘s thread folk are even saying players won’t want to come to us because of the big drop down to the cloggers of League 2. Oh to be one of these BIG clubs instead of just a little onlooker eh?
All said in sarcastic jest.🤩

Last edited:

Red Devon

Came up in my memories that it was three years ago today we played them in the playoffs...Sincil Bank was literally bouncing that day, one helluva atmosphere for a league two match 😎

DB9

Watching these L1 play off games, I'm thinking 3 out of the 4 teams involved we have played in L2 and Conference play off games in recent years, They have all pushed on and we're still where we are, Be nice if perhaps in a few years we were in their position they find themselves in.

Banksy

Watching these L1 play off games, I'm thinking 3 out of the 4 teams involved we have played in L2 and Conference play off games in recent years, They have all pushed on and we're still where we are, Be nice if perhaps in a few years we were in their position they find themselves in.
Just what I’ve been thinking but was afraid to say out loud for fear of someone rearing up.You would hope so , because unfortunately in spite of ( or because of) abortive playoffs we’re still marking time. We may have been in the top third of this back woods league two for a lot of the time and thus avoiding the dreaded National League drop , but we need to push on. Hoping this will be it if Taylor is true to his word and signs the right players.Bring on the autos!

DB9

Just what I’ve been thinking but was afraid to say out loud for fear of someone rearing up.You would hope so , because unfortunately in spite of ( or because of) abortive playoffs we’re still marking time. We may have been in the top third of this back woods league two for a lot of the time and thus avoiding the dreaded National League drop , but we need to push on. Hoping this will be it if Taylor is true to his word and signs the right players.Bring on the autos!
If people come on here and say "Yeah but look at the teams that are non-league now" My answers is we look forward, Can't let our 5 year stint in NL hold us back, I keep banging on but we're in the strongest position ever off the field, We need to get the playing side right. As you say Banksy, In the auto's.

Oldsmobile-88

Lincoln beat Sunderland 2-0 in the first PO leg at Sincil Bank this evening.