• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 - Tuesday 5th April

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bleddy rubbish Mansfield
If indeed they actually were rubbish then given the Vale result I for one are pleased they were.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Attendance at Salford was just 2449 and virtually half (1220) were from Port Vale. 🤣
Not surprising that they are posting annual trading losses of £3+ million.

ExmouthMart

Yes, and there was just a paltry 2,784 including 390 from Mansfield for Forest Green's 'title decider' last night.

Salford and FGR - two phoney clubs who have everything, apart from history and a supporter base.
Phoney clubs?! What does that mean exactly?! Our history is not exactly anything to shout about and our supporter base is probably 6000ish when we are doing well and not including days out games at Wembley. Very arrogant view of other peoples clubs and might come back to bite you, particularly as the season not over yet by along shot.

Boyo

Phoney clubs?! What does that mean exactly?! Our history is not exactly anything to shout about and our supporter base is probably 6000ish when we are doing well and not including days out games at Wembley. Very arrogant view of other peoples clubs and might come back to bite you, particularly as the season not over yet by along shot.
For me, a phoney club is a club is a club who are a number of leagues higher than their natural level, due primarily to significant investment by a rich benefactor(s). In essence should the benefactor withdraw their investment, they wouldn't be able to maintain that position for long and hence they are in a false or phoney position. FGR and Salford are two good examples, as were Rushden & Diamonds. They are generally disliked because they occupy a place in the pyramid at the expense of a club who historically have been at that level (York, Darlington, Halifax etc).

ExmouthMart

For me, a phoney club is a club is a club who are a number of leagues higher than their natural level, due primarily to significant investment by a rich benefactor(s). In essence should the benefactor withdraw their investment, they wouldn't be able to maintain that position for long and hence they are in a false or phoney position. FGR and Salford are two good examples, as were Rushden & Diamonds. They are generally disliked because they occupy a place in the pyramid at the expense of a club who historically have been at that level (York, Darlington, Halifax etc).
So on that reckoning we should have a trip to Stamford Bridge soon then?! So what do you think our natural level as you call it is then?! I think we are at it now. We are enjoying the benefits generated by the sale of some very good players in the last few years, which has enabled us to be competitive, especially so this season in League Two. League Two/ National League is where we could happily play with no real fear of over stretching our finance’s and our fan base would support that level.
Aren’t Darlington one of the classic examples of a basket case?!…… If Dale Vince wants to fund FGR with all his money and just chuck it all away he obviously didn’t think much of them in the first place if he is gambling with their very existence. If I was a billionaire and I was willing to put millions into the club would that make us a phoney club?! By the way I’m skint so there’s no chance…….

Boyo

Chelsea have historically spent most of their time in the top flight, although of course it took dodgy Russian money for them to win silverware consistently. The Premiership is so broken and full of cash that the soul of the clubs have gone and they are merely international brands. I still quite enjoy watching it buts it's chalk and cheese compared to the lower leagues.
Darlington were ruined by a benefactor who had visions way beyond their potential. He got bored, the club folded.
L2 is our natural level. We are growing slowly and steadily and making progress. Our model is different, but the ethos of the Club is sustainability. That's the correct, long term approach, IMO. I don't want us to be another Darlington. FGR's and Salford's bubble will burst, sooner or later.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unless you follow our model and also get a regular flow of players who are transferred up the pyramid, you generally need three things to succeed in L1 and L2 long term:

1) a good manager who can recruit and motivate players to be better than the rest of their peers;

2) an owner who is prepared to put in significant amounts of cash (say £2m+ pa) for an extended period, minimum 5+ years, preferably longer;

3) a good level of income from attendances, merchandise and the rest.

FGR arguably have two of these, Salford only one.

BTW Chelsea have never finished below 18th in the 2nd Division, and were top 6 in the PL even before Abramovich. List of Chelsea F.C. seasons - Wikipedia

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
So on that reckoning we should have a trip to Stamford Bridge soon then?! So what do you think our natural level as you call it is then?! I think we are at it now. We are enjoying the benefits generated by the sale of some very good players in the last few years, which has enabled us to be competitive, especially so this season in League Two. League Two/ National League is where we could happily play with no real fear of over stretching our finance’s and our fan base would support that level.
Aren’t Darlington one of the classic examples of a basket case?!…… If Dale Vince wants to fund FGR with all his money and just chuck it all away he obviously didn’t think much of them in the first place if he is gambling with their very existence. If I was a billionaire and I was willing to put millions into the club would that make us a phoney club?! By the way I’m skint so there’s no chance…….
Mart, I not sure if you are being provacative but clearly our natural level is L2 and clearly Chelsea's is the Prem I'm not sure what is left to debate. FGR and Salford were for almost all their existence non league clubs and they have the fan base of ................. non league clubs! Should I chuck my vast wealth into Exeter City it still wouldn't alter the past 100 plus years

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unless you follow our model and also get a regular flow of players who are transferred up the pyramid, you generally need three things to succeed in L1 and L2 long term:

1) a good manager who can recruit and motivate players to be better than the rest of their peers;

2) an owner who is prepared to put in significant amounts of cash (say £2m+ pa) for an extended period, minimum 5+ years, preferably longer;

3) a good level of income from attendances, merchandise and the rest.

FGR arguably have two of these, Salford only one.

BTW Chelsea have never finished below 18th in the 2nd Division, and were top 6 in the PL even before Abramovich. List of Chelsea F.C. seasons - Wikipedia
It could be argued that Salford now have 2 of the requirements in Bowyer who amazingly they persisted with when they were struggling this season, and their backer, they will never have the third! Should we (heaven forbid ) stay in this league Salford are the club to fear next season

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It could be argued that Salford now have 2 of the requirements in Bowyer who amazingly they persisted with when they were struggling this season, and their backer, they will never have the third! Should we (heaven forbid ) stay in this league Salford are the club to fear next season
I think Salford are not good enough to get promoted right now, might not even make the playoffs. Time will tell. But agreed, next season they may be a force.