• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Grimsby sign James Morton on loan, good pick up. Loads of clubs still seem to be carrying on signing top players, are we being prudent or naive?
Prudent I would think.I guess we’ve probably accepted as a club that we’ll bounce around the middle of the table until this horror story is finally over . Who knows what’s going to happen , be it a bailout or going bust , still think there’s a chance of the latter happening to one or two teams.If this season is played entirely behind closed doors , what a non event it will turn out to be anyway.

Red Devon

Prudent I would think.I guess we’ve probably accepted as a club that we’ll bounce around the middle of the table until this horror story is finally over . Who knows what’s going to happen , be it a bailout or going bust , still think there’s a chance of the latter happening to one or two teams.If this season is played entirely behind closed doors , what a non event it will turn out to be anyway.
Personally think we’re looking a better side than we were this time last year despite the Port Vale reverse. I see no reason not be optimistic at all at the moment.

Boyo

Grimsby sign James Morton on loan, good pick up. Loads of clubs still seem to be carrying on signing top players, are we being prudent or naive?
Grimsby have signed 8-10 players through the summer to now. If the cry poverty when the cash runs out, it's difficult to see why anyone should bail them out. Hopefully they have a robust plan.

The deluder

Grimsby have signed 8-10 players through the summer to now. If the cry poverty when the cash runs out, it's difficult to see why anyone should bail them out. Hopefully they have a robust plan.
Mr Holloway up to his normal tricks then.

Banksy

Personally think we’re looking a better side than we were this time last year despite the Port Vale reverse. I see no reason not be optimistic at all at the moment.
Yes , agreed. Just sit it out until all this carp is over then regroup if necessary.By then we will be able to see where the youth are heading and whether adjustments need to be made.Main thing is to stay out of bottom of the table trouble which we should be able to do.My only fear is the old chestnut of lacking a regular reliable goalscorer.

ryancooper327

That’s the issue though, what if clubs who carried on and brought in a bunch of players getting bailed out the same as we do. Surely the clubs have an idea of what’s going on behind the scenes to carry on signing players with no idea of when crowds will be back

DB9

That’s the issue though, what if clubs who carried on and brought in a bunch of players getting bailed out the same as we do. Surely the clubs have an idea of what’s going on behind the scenes to carry on signing players with no idea of when crowds will be back
Have you thought about the number of players Grimsby released or sold or left on a freebie or even retired? Perhaps they were just replacing the numbers that left?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have you thought about the number of players Grimsby released or sold or left on a freebie or even retired? Perhaps they were just replacing the numbers that left?
Grimsby have a similar sized squad to us. You can argue about which players are genuine "first teamers" but there is noting unusual about Grimsby's line-up.

Rosencrantz

There has a lot of churn in L2 squads, although that isn't uncommon. You can only really judge whether a club is trying to mitigate against loss income by contrasting wage bills and other outgoings compared to last season. We know our playing budget will be lower. Even if other clubs have signed a lot of players, after releasing many as well, their playing budget still might be lower by offering lower contracts.

DB9

Grimsby have a similar sized squad to us. You can argue about which players are genuine "first teamers" but there is noting unusual about Grimsby's line-up.
Then like other teams they were replacing players with players, If they had a huge squad then you'd think they've spent loads but they haven't, Also we have no idea of what the players were offered in terms of deals, Could be lower than ours, Could be higher, Any ideas is purely guesswork so none of us can say if they have spent money they don't have. If teams in our league have the money to spend then that is up to them but any loans by the EFL/PL/FA/Government would have to be on a club by club basis and just be for loss of attendance/matchday sponsors money. I'm not sure what % ifollow give to clubs but that could offset loss of income from food and drink if its enough. We have to realise that any loans to help will probably not be 100% of what we'd normally get on matchdays but anything is better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.