• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 news 2021/22

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the FA have wagged a finger and tut tutted, saying they will enforce by potentially reducing a clubs capacity!😆
If it wasnt for the fact they are dealing with a potentially serious problem their reaction would be laughable.
As for perimeter fences, I get annoyed when I hear commentators talk about not wanting to fence fans in. In? Fans wont be fenced in. They can still get up anytime they like and go elsewhere, loos, bars, food outlets, even leave the ground. They wouldnt be fenced IN. Fenced out of the pitch maybe, but if they arent allowed there in the first place how is that a big deal?

andrew p long

I see the FA have wagged a finger and tut tutted, saying they will enforce by potentially reducing a clubs capacity!😆
If it wasnt for the fact they are dealing with a potentially serious problem their reaction would be laughable.
As for perimeter fences, I get annoyed when I hear commentators talk about not wanting to fence fans in. In? Fans wont be fenced in. They can still get up anytime they like and go elsewhere, loos, bars, food outlets, even leave the ground. They wouldnt be fenced IN. Fenced out of the pitch maybe, but if they arent allowed there in the first place how is that a big deal?
I understand your point, but safety considerations apply too. If the teenagers crushed to death at Hillsborough or the fans who died in the Bradford fire had been ushered onto the pitch (at Bradford rather than trying to exit the ground via the back of the stand) .... that's why I don't want us to be forced to go back to fencing.

IndoMike

6 months prison sentence
More than likely the 6 months becomes 3 months for good behaviour. Will he learn his lesson? I don't know

Pobbop

If fences come back in, I won't go to another match, simple as, and I don't invade the pitch, and haven't since the 89/90 season.

This is all so pointlessly retrograde from people who don't seem to want to remember how bad it was in the 70s and 80s, did fencing help all the problems then which were infinitely worse, NO!!! they just made it worse, you treat people like animals they behave like it, to throw all that progress out the window because of a few idjits is pathetic.

Proper punishments for those that behave badly, and even if it is just 3 months imprisonment, that is a proper punishment that will effect his life is what we need, not reactionary hysterical takes back to the bad-old-days.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
If fences come back in, I won't go to another match, simple as, and I don't invade the pitch, and haven't since the 89/90 season.

This is all so pointlessly retrograde from people who don't seem to want to remember how bad it was in the 70s and 80s, did fencing help all the problems then which were infinitely worse, NO!!! they just made it worse, you treat people like animals they behave like it, to throw all that progress out the window because of a few idjits is pathetic.

Proper punishments for those that behave badly, and even if it is just 3 months imprisonment, that is a proper punishment that will effect his life is what we need, not reactionary hysterical takes back to the bad-old-days.
Agree with all of this. 3 months inside is punishment and he will probably lose his job and will have a criminal record for life, football banning order etc. I bet he bloody regrets it now!

99% of fans are decent. You can't cage us in like animals again like the 70s and 80s. It would be a massive backward step. You'd lose so many fans.

geoffwp

I stand near the top of the bank. If there was a perimeter fence, I wouldnt feel caged in. In a sense it would be the players and officials who would be caged in, not me. If, and of course it's a very big if, it did happen i dont think it would spoil my enjoyment of the game.

grecIAN Harris

I stand near the top of the bank. If there was a perimeter fence, I wouldnt feel caged in. In a sense it would be the players and officials who would be caged in, not me. If, and of course it's a very big if, it did happen i dont think it would spoil my enjoyment of the game.
Wait until a Hillsborough situation happens and then see if you feel caged in. It's a worst case scenario I know but we all know that that is a reality. We've seen it happen.

IndoMike

No cages, please. Recipe for disaster. Just deal with the ugly minority with an iron fist.

geoffwp

Wait until a Hillsborough situation happens and then see if you feel caged in. It's a worst case scenario I know but we all know that that is a reality. We've seen it happen.
Look, I'm not arguing FOR a perimeter fence but I am arguing about the way it is seen. Cages? Animals? All far too emotive and removed from the possibilities of modern technology. We shouldn't allow history, no matter how raw and uncomfortable it may be, to side track that discussion. I personally cant see a Hillsborough situation ever happening again. That's not me being blasé, that's down to lessons learned from public enquiries. Things have changed and moved on from those ugly times. I'm pretty sure there will be design technologies and materials available now that would make a perimeter fence far safer and able to cope with any emergency..
Mike says just deal with the minority with an iron fist. Maybe it would work, but I'm not convinced currently it would be a sufficient deterrent where those folk can use the anonymity of a large crowd..

Benguin

I was at Spurs in 81 and it came very close to a serious incident then. Stood behind the goal you literally had no control over where you moved and it did feel pretty sketchy. The thought of being pushed up against a fence and crushed, although highly unlikely given modern regulations, is something that unless you have stood in a crowd that is out of control is hard to imagine. I would rather not return to those days and agree with others who suggest that punishment should be applied more rigorously to those who break the regulations.