• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 news 2021/22

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't expecting that result. Hartlepool are now my second team!

Lots of twists and turns yet.
That is for sure……a completely bonkers season continues merrily on its way lol.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't see Newport as a threat.
If we play to our potential then no team is a threat to us. However, I fear we are going to find it more and more challenging to keep grinding out results. The table is so tight that any team in the top 10 could still realistically get automatic promotion so should be considered a threat; any time they drop points makes our life just that little bit easier and probably reduces the number of points we will need.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we play to our potential then no team is a threat to us. However, I fear we are going to find it more and more challenging to keep grinding out results. The table is so tight that any team in the top 10 could still realistically get automatic promotion so should be considered a threat; any time they drop points makes our life just that little bit easier and probably reduces the number of points we will need.
I think this is right. The table is so close. There are teams right down to 10th (Mansfield) who are right in with a shout. The odds are that 2 of the 9 behind FGR will have a storming run to the end of the season - we just don't know which two it will be. For us to get automatic we either have to be one of those two or have a run that is not far away from that.

SaintJames

All of the Top 10 teams are a threat and will continue to be until the last kick of the season because things change not just with a single result but often with a single goal. Any cricketers on here will understand the mindset that you always look at your score as what it would be if you lose two quick wickets not what it actually is. So if you are 100-4 you should look at it as 100-6 if you are chasing 156 to win. My point being if we lose the next two games the picture completely changes instantly. Therefore, all we can do is focus on our next result and hope that others falter whilst we dont

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this is right. The table is so close. There are teams right down to 10th (Mansfield) who are right in with a shout. The odds are that 2 of the 9 behind FGR will have a storming run to the end of the season - we just don't know which two it will be. For us to get automatic we either have to be one of those two or have a run that is not far away from that.
The reality is that both Forest Green and ourselves only need a half decent run between now and the end of season to get promoted. For example, I think we've averaged over 2 points a game for the last 12 games whereas 1.5 points a game for the rest of the season would be enough to get us to up about 78 points which may well be enough. Still think that's going to be a challenge, though, given the tough fixtures we have left.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
All of the Top 10 teams are a threat and will continue to be until the last kick of the season because things change not just with a single result but often with a single goal. Any cricketers on here will understand the mindset that you always look at your score as what it would be if you lose two quick wickets not what it actually is. So if you are 100-4 you should look at it as 100-6 if you are chasing 156 to win. My point being if we lose the next two games the picture completely changes instantly. Therefore, all we can do is focus on our next result and hope that others falter whilst we dont
Although the table is incredibly tight at the moment I still think that it's likely that one, if not two, of the automatic promotion places will be confirmed before the last day of the season.

SaintJames

Although the table is incredibly tight at the moment I still think that it's likely that one, if not two, of the automatic promotion places will be confirmed before the last day of the season.
I would love to think that (particularly if we occupy one of those spots) however, given how the teams have interchanged places numerous times I cant see it myself. I really think we need three points today as even two draws in two games will see us drop many places. If we lose today or just get a point the pressure will ramp up against Vale on Tuesday

Rosencrantz

Do you mean "take it one game at a time"? 😉

grecIAN Harris

Nah, that's not long winded enough.:p

SaintJames

yes and no :)