League 2 news 2021/22

SaintJames

Active member
Joined
Dec 3, 2020
Messages
1,407
Ob balance I think I would prefer Mansfield to get to the final

Overall I like to see Swindon in League 1 with us next season
I have changed my mind several times as to who I would prefer in L1. They all have rich benefactors who will chuck big sums of money into next season but whoever it is we will still finish above them next season :)
 

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
20,087
Location
Hampshire. Heart's in N Devon
I have changed my mind several times as to who I would prefer in L1. They all have rich benefactors who will chuck big sums of money into next season but whoever it is we will still finish above them next season :)
There's no point in going down the "Rich benefactors, Chucking money at a team" route it does nothing except make us look envious and as this season has proved and the ones where we didn't quite make it, We held our own, Its what you do with the budget you get, Not the amount. L1 will have many more teams with much bigger budgets and we just have to get on with it, Not moan about it, I'm sure MT and the club don't go on about it.
 

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
17,788
Location
Sponsoring Super Sammy Nombe
I want Vale or Mansfield to come up as they’re the two closest to my house

If not them then Swindon as they will bring a load of fans to SJP and it’s a decent away trip for Exeter based fans

Lastly it’s Northampton as although it’s not too far from home for me, we never seem to do well against them
 

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
6,944
Location
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
There's no point in going down the "Rich benefactors, Chucking money at a team" route it does nothing except make us look envious and as this season has proved and the ones where we didn't quite make it, We held our own, Its what you do with the budget you get, Not the amount. L1 will have many more teams with much bigger budgets and we just have to get on with it, Not moan about it, I'm sure MT and the club don't go on about it.
Look at the money and people involved at Salford ! Yes they may have stormed the lower leagues to come up to L2 when they were paying championship wages for championship / L1 players but I dont think their owners have bottomless pockets and once bored staying at L2 level will have 2 choices and thats to chuck even more money at it in the hope they can get out or bu66er off and have them drop back down into the basement leagues.
 

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
7,421
Look at the money and people involved at Salford ! Yes they may have stormed the lower leagues to come up to L2 when they were paying championship wages for championship / L1 players but I dont think their owners have bottomless pockets and once bored staying at L2 level will have 2 choices and thats to chuck even more money at it in the hope they can get out or bu66er off and have them drop back down into the basement leagues.
Not sure about this. Their majority shareholder, Peter Lim, is worth £3bn. He might get bored but ain't gonna be running out of money just yet!
 

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
20,087
Location
Hampshire. Heart's in N Devon
Look at the money and people involved at Salford ! Yes they may have stormed the lower leagues to come up to L2 when they were paying championship wages for championship / L1 players but I dont think their owners have bottomless pockets and once bored staying at L2 level will have 2 choices and thats to chuck even more money at it in the hope they can get out or bu66er off and have them drop back down into the basement leagues.
For me, I couldn't give a stuff about other clubs, Who owns them, How much they've got. Life is full of have's and have not's. The ones that have suffered and dropped out of the league are the ones who were taken over by shisters who never had any money, Then you look to the EFL for their "Fit and Proper" test, Us on the other hand have never had the financial clout others have, We've done it our way and since we've been back in the league we have never, At the end of any season looked like dropping back to non-league which shows its not what you have, Its what you do with the funds you have. In real terms L2 money is a tiny fraction of other leagues, No real TV coverage, No mass sponsorship of its own, If a clubs lucky to have people put their hands in their own pocket and use their own money thats fine by me, Doesn't mean success and more importantly I've not seen many owners of those clubs in L2 get "Bored" and walk away, They know they won't make money in this league, No one does, That is a fact. Whether Salford are the "Media Darlings" because of their various owners, Who honestly cares? Where are they now and where are we? All i'm concerned about is ECFC in L1 and staying there, Consolidating our L1 status and then see if we could push on from there.

The greatest satifaction for me would be for ECFC to be the highest ranking club that is soley fans owned and be somehwere where no other fans owned club have been and that is The Championship, Is it possible? I have no idea, It would be hugely difficult to achieve but what a fantastic achievement that would be and then i would smugly look at those that have a few quid and say "That is how you do it".
 

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
6,944
Location
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Not sure about this. Their majority shareholder, Peter Lim, is worth $3bn. He might get bored but ain't gonna be running out of money just yet!
But he didnt get $3bn (actually £2.4bn) by chucking good money after bad ! Have a read about Valencia under his ownership doesnt make for good reading tbh.

Besides he only has a 40% share with the other 60% owned by Giggs etc , He was/is basically using ex Man Utd players who were there as a PR thing to make him look good.
 

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Messages
7,421
But he didnt get $3bn (actually £2.4bn) by chucking good money after bad ! Have a read about Valencia under his ownership doesnt make for good reading tbh.

Besides he only has a 40% share with the other 60% owned by Giggs etc , He was/is basically using ex Man Utd players who were there as a PR thing to make him look good.
My only real point was that as long as Lim is bankrolling the club it ain't gonna run out of money. Also, as I understand it, one of the Valencia fans' pet peeves was that Lim was more interested in Salford City than he was the Spanish club - flying back to the UK for dinner with Beckham immediately after Valencia had beaten Barca in the final of the Copa del Rey.
 
Top