• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExeterCraic

We are currently 2nd best in L1 for goals conceded after GW7. Just 5 in 7 games.

View attachment 9121
Burton really struggling, surprised Hasslebaink hasn't been sacked yet.

dontpassback

Re the Cheltenham manager link

Probably wasting time, surprised he didn't start rolling around on the ground holding his leg during the interview.
I will be very surprised if he is still their manager at the end of this season

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster

For anyone who wants to hear for themselves what the Cheltenham manager said about Port Vale and time wasting the whinge begins at about 7 minute 20 seconds into the video. If you listen from the start you might fall asleep before that point because he must be the dreariest manager in football.
There was definitely a lot of timewasting in that video!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Ipswich average attendance is more than the total of our 4 homes games to date despite being a similar sized county town in a rural setting. I know their history, but even so.
I don't think the issue is a simple one. For many years Ipswich has been a 'big' club in terms of league position and following. Their ground capacity is over 30,000.
Frankly, for many years, we were a sadly neglected club, just bumping along in the bottom tier of the league with a few 'memorable moments' along the way. Until 1997, when the new big bank was completed, SJP had been long neglected.
As warmly as people of a certain age remember the 'cow shed', it rejoiced in that name for a reason.
It was only 4 years ago that the 'old grandstand' was replaced with something different after 92 years, and the away end acquired a roof.
If you were not a fervent supporter and only mildly interested, what attraction would you have had to become a regular at SJP?
We now have a rare and real opportunity to change that. A half decent place to come, increasingly good football to watch, a great atmosphere, a growing reputation and a superb media team to project the club locally and further afield.
These are all things that Ipswich have had for years and we are only just beginning to catch up.

JW57++

Ipswich is the only league team in Suffolk so they draw from a number of towns. It’s also close to Essex. When I lived in Colchester we used to go to games at Ipswich much more often than Colchester.

STURTZ

Give MK their due, at least they tried to play football. That Cheltenham farce will stay with me for a long time. They were a disgrace to football.

denzel

I don't think the issue is a simple one. For many years Ipswich has been a 'big' club in terms of league position and following. Their ground capacity is over 30,000.
Frankly, for many years, we were a sadly neglected club, just bumping along in the bottom tier of the league with a few 'memorable moments' along the way. Until 1997, when the new big bank was completed, SJP had been long neglected.
As warmly as people of a certain age remember the 'cow shed', it rejoiced in that name for a reason.
It was only 4 years ago that the 'old grandstand' was replaced with something different after 92 years, and the away end acquired a roof.
If you were not a fervent supporter and only mildly interested, what attraction would you have had to become a regular at SJP?
We now have a rare and real opportunity to change that. A half decent place to come, increasingly good football to watch, a great atmosphere, a growing reputation and a superb media team to project the club locally and further afield.
These are all things that Ipswich have had for years and we are only just beginning to catch up.
I believe Ipswich were a similar club to us, until Sir Alf Ramsey came along. Having him and then Sir Bobby Robson, with the domestic and European success, must have guaranteed a lot of lifetime fans. And a ground in a site with plenty of room, right in the town centre, with plenty of decent facilities must help with sponsors etc.

tom_ecfc

Or by the time they play us 😉

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe Ipswich were a similar club to us, until Sir Alf Ramsey came along. Having him and then Sir Bobby Robson, with the domestic and European success, must have guaranteed a lot of lifetime fans. And a ground in a site with plenty of room, right in the town centre, with plenty of decent facilities must help with sponsors etc.
Who needs Sir Alf Ramsey when we have King Matt "Grumpy" Taylor !

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give MK their due, at least they tried to play football. That Cheltenham farce will stay with me for a long time. They were a disgrace to football.
While that is true there were two big differences. Firstly they never had a lead to defend and secondly from the start of the match the ref made it clear he was in charge and wasn't going to allow any nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.