• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sign of the chimes

Yep very strange. City v Cheltenham is only really mentioned as a derby by the media, it means absolutely nothing to either set of supporters other than the 3 points on offer. Whereas there's some actual debate amongst Argyle fans whether Exeter or Portsmouth are their main rival's. Very strange.

I'm assuming Pompey fans only regard Southampton as their rivals and Argyle is just another game?
You're right. I think there are one or two among our support with longstanding naval links who care a bit more; but it's not really a football thing with Plymouth.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
A "derby" was traditionally a big game or maybe a game with a degree of rivalry. What you chaps are discussing is a local derby. Pompey v Plymouth is a derby but not a local one. Clear?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Weird how we class Cheltenham as a derby match but not Portsmouth. As the crow flies there can't be much in it.
Exeter to Cheltenham is a much more straightforward journey than Exeter to Portsmouth; still wouldn't class it as a derby, though. Same with Forest Green and Swindon; we seem to have played them both a lot in recent years and with all of us being near the top of the table they have often felt like quite important matches but I still wouldn't class them as derbies.

Boyo

There was a season not too long ago where our nearest game was Walsall!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There was a season not too long ago where our nearest game was Walsall!
Or when our local derby was in a different country!

Last edited:

DawlishBouy

A "derby" was traditionally a big game or maybe a game with a degree of rivalry. What you chaps are discussing is a local derby. Pompey v Plymouth is a derby but not a local one. Clear?
"Derby" was always used to reference a fierce local rivalry. "Local derby" and "derby" meant the same thing.
Plymouth v Portsmouth is not a derby.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Derby" was always used to reference a fierce local rivalry. "Local derby" and "derby" meant the same thing.
Plymouth v Portsmouth is not a derby.
To the Tw@ts down in Janner land and Radio Devon they refer to it as the "Dockyard Derby" dating back to when we had a Navy based in the two ports, now it's a match of two teams that begin with P and end in mouth

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some Gargoyles also class Bristol City ahead of us in the rivalry stakes although I doubt they see much past Rovers and even then Cardiff before even thinking about the Gargs.
Never heard that before in my unfortunate time down this way

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never heard that before in my unfortunate time down this way
I actually read exactly this on a thread on Pashitty about our promotion. It's because they want to see themselves as bigger than they actually are.

"I like to think we're far more similar to clubs like Bristol City and Cardiff than we are to Exeter."

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually read exactly this on a thread on Pashitty about our promotion. It's because they want to see themselves as bigger than they actually are.

"I like to think we're far more similar to clubs like Bristol City and Cardiff than we are to Exeter."

"Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad"

Status
Not open for further replies.