• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The deluded lot down the A38 think they are a “big club”
Yep, they'll have to put the Champions League on hold for a bit longer.

Red & White

Form never carries in to a new season. Most clubs have significant changes in personnel and a 3 month break over the summer means we all start with a clean slate of form come August
Sometimes this is true, but on a number of occasions this form carries over e.g Hull City, Burnley, Southend, Scunthorpe, Oldham et al seem to struggle year on year and either end up just about surviving or getting relegated and this is despite wholesale changes in players. I think FGR will struggle next season, but the big decider will be are they mentally stronger than the squad at Fleetwood, Morcambe or Lincoln.

SaintJames

Sometimes this is true, but on a number of occasions this form carries over e.g Hull City, Burnley, Southend, Scunthorpe, Oldham et al seem to struggle year on year and either end up just about surviving or getting relegated and this is despite wholesale changes in players. I think FGR will struggle next season, but the big decider will be are they mentally stronger than the squad at Fleetwood, Morcambe or Lincoln.
I make you correct there R&W. I would wager that the three sides who just missed the drop - Fleetwood, Morecambe and Shrewsbury will be close to if not in the bottom three places next season. I also think FGR will struggle as I think the manager has been found not to have a plan B. If Northampton go up they to will struggle as their style of hoofball tends not to do well outside of L2

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
All 4 teams that were promoted from L2 in 2021 survived in L1, 3 of them reasonably comfortably which is encouraging.

sign of the chimes

All 4 teams that were promoted from L2 in 2021 survived in L1, 3 of them reasonably comfortably which is encouraging.
The one that survived, but not as comfortably, was a side that was generally expected to struggle/be relegated from L2 throughout it's tenure in that division.

I think the bottom third of L1 will be more challenging next term - just because there aren't going to be (m)any sides pulling up the financial drawbridge as there were going in to 2021/22 (it's easy to forget there were no guarantees that crowds - let alone full capacity - would be watching at the start of the season). However, I'd still expect promoted sides that can keep their key players to be able to compete. If Morecambe manage to stay up next season I'd grudgingly have to doff my cap to Derek Adams.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wrong thread.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The one that survived, but not as comfortably, was a side that was generally expected to struggle/be relegated from L2 throughout it's tenure in that division.

I think the bottom third of L1 will be more challenging next term - just because there aren't going to be (m)any sides pulling up the financial drawbridge as there were going in to 2021/22 (it's easy to forget there were no guarantees that crowds - let alone full capacity - would be watching at the start of the season). However, I'd still expect promoted sides that can keep their key players to be able to compete. If Morecambe manage to stay up next season I'd grudgingly have to doff my cap to Derek Adams.
Under no circumstances would you or should you ever have to do that.

ryancooper327

1st retained list from one of our new table friends; Retained List announced - News - Morecambe (morecambefc.com)

Imagine they will start to fly in now...

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
1st retained list from one of our new table friends; Retained List announced - News - Morecambe (morecambefc.com)

Imagine they will start to fly in now...
Keeping a lot of players that just kept them up. Not sure there's a lot of 'ambition'....

budegrecian

Keeping a lot of players that just kept them up. Not sure there's a lot of 'ambition'....
But they want to get shot of a further 10 who are contracted for next season. Good luck with that....

Status
Not open for further replies.