• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyo

Just took this sentence out of your quote about what the local businesses/suppliers think Boyo:

"How do you think they feel about Derby wiping the slate clean and then immediately start spending money?"

TBH the people who own Derby now are not the ones that owe them money, They have bought the club fair and square and in line with what the administrators/EFL told them, I'm not sure of the process but unless there is an agreement with the new owners and creditors about paying back the full amount owed then the new owners are under no obligation to pay them, That is not just in football but in business in general (I think)
Legally, I think your assumptions are correct, but morally it's so wrong. Small businesses in Derby will probably have suffered, had to lay people off, even been liquidated themselves for relatively modest sums of money. Days after being taken over and Derby are offering players contracts worth (my guess) quarter of a million quid a year.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Joe Wildsmith Sheff Wed to Derby - interesting one from Cameron Dawson’s point of view.

DB9

Legally, I think your assumptions are correct, but morally it's so wrong. Small businesses in Derby will probably have suffered, had to lay people off, even been liquidated themselves for relatively modest sums of money. Days after being taken over and Derby are offering players contracts worth (my guess) quarter of a million quid a year.
It is morally repugnant but that is the way things are done and not just in football, Those small businesses would have been owed that money ages ago and any going to the wall or making redundencies because of it happened a long time ago, Not recently.

Boyo

It is morally repugnant but that is the way things are done and not just in football, Those small businesses would have been owed that money ages ago and any going to the wall or making redundencies because of it happened a long time ago, Not recently.
I'm glad we agree it is morally wrong. That was all I was saying.

DB9

Where we differ is that the new owners aren't responsible for what the previous owners did, We can't blame them, Now they're ok finacially lets hope the new owners engage with the fans and are just a bit "Nicer"

Grecian2K

Where we differ is that the new owners aren't responsible for what the previous owners did, We can't blame them, Now they're ok finacially lets hope the new owners engage with the fans and are just a bit "Nicer"
In the interests of balance even our own, beloved, ECFC have not been entirely blameless of dodging debts under previous (mis)management.
Even more so the calamitous Cornish!
Glasshouses and stones, perhaps.

DB9

In the interests of balance even our own, beloved, ECFC have not been entirely blameless of dodging debts under previous (mis)management.
Even more so the calamitous Cornish!
Glasshouses and stones, perhaps.
Exactly, As reffered to in a previous post i wrote.

fred binneys head

I'm not sure I agree it's morally wrong to try and keep a business afloat, the alternative is that you remove the CVA option and far more businesses go bust, with the impact on employees and suppliers that brings. What I do find difficult to stomach is the way some pre-pack admins happen, where the ownership stays the same and the owners absolve themselves of paying debt then crack on exactly as before. That isn't the case with DCFC.

dontpassback

Joe Wildsmith Sheff Wed to Derby - interesting one from Cameron Dawson’s point of view.
Wild smith had already turned down the wendies new offer,he didn’t want to play second fiddle to the keeper signed from wycombe

Boyo

I'm not sure I agree it's morally wrong to try and keep a business afloat, the alternative is that you remove the CVA option and far more businesses go bust, with the impact on employees and suppliers that brings. What I do find difficult to stomach is the way some pre-pack admins happen, where the ownership stays the same and the owners absolve themselves of paying debt then crack on exactly as before. That isn't the case with DCFC.
Agreed. What I find morally wrong is football clubs coming out of administration and then paying silly wages, that most folk could only dream of.

Status
Not open for further replies.