• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Trainspotting was released 25 years ago today, just in case you were wondering.
I reckon this would be good too 😎
146D46BA-3A3D-4A6E-8B75-B0151A97F64A.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Stan & Ollie(2018)

Very loosely based on the pairs tour of the UK in 1953.The last time they worked together because Ollie had a heart attack during the tour & retired from showbiz.
A few of their classic scenes are recreated in the tour on stage.
The real tension the Stan had simmering after he left Hal Roachs studio in 1937 comes up during the tour.Ollie had stayed with Roach briefly.

Well worth a watch.Available on the iplayer.

7/10.

Mr Jinx

Stan & Ollie(2018)

Very loosely based on the pairs tour of the UK in 1953.The last time they worked together because Ollie had a heart attack during the tour & retired from showbiz.
A few of their classic scenes are recreated in the tour on stage.
The real tension the Stan had simmering after he left Hal Roachs studio in 1937 comes up during the tour.Ollie had stayed with Roach briefly.

Well worth a watch.Available on the iplayer.

7/10.
I was blown away at how well Steve Coogan played Stan Laurel. It was as if it were him.

DB9

I was blown away at how well Steve Coogan played Stan Laurel. It was as if it were him.
Sign of a good film when you know who the actor is but emerse yourself into the film/story you really think it is the character, Really loved this film. Did it go under the radar when handing out awards etc? I don't even know if it got any.

Swanaldo

Did it go under the radar when handing out awards etc? I don't even know if it got any.
Reilly won some sort of best actor gong, and Coogan was nominated for (I think) a Bafta but didn't win.

I do know that available shooting time was somewhat limited as John C. Reilly spent fours hours a day in the make-up chair. 😲

Reactions: DB9

Banksy

Just testing , keep getting some sort of ‘oops’ error popping up on and off that won’t let me post for security reasons.After several attempts this one posted.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

I Care A Lot.

On Amazon Prime. A bit like Promising Young Woman, this also centres around a somewhat psychotic woman, albeit for very different reasons. A great story with a familiar punchline: do not mess with the Russian mafia.

Rosamund Pike plays it well, with Peter Dinklage an unlikely Mob Boss. Well worth a watch, a few twists and edge of seat stuff.

9/10

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Captain Horatio Hornblower (1951). Gregory Peck ably playing the role of a British Naval Captain during the Napoleonic wars. Quite excellent viewing, 8/10.

Banksy

Master and Commander 2003 is good too.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
To Catch a Thief (1955). Gary Grant excellent in the role of trying to prove that he's not a cat burglar stealing jewellery on the Cote D'Azur. A lovely looking Delehaye 135 also featured as well a stunning Sunbeam Alpine. Oh, and Grace Kelly co-starred in the film. This time we did spot Hitchcock. 8/10.