• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
They were good friends.Maggie would go around for tea after he was detained under house arrest when a Spanish Judge requested his extradition.
Very awkward for Blair’s government at the time,but due process had to be followed.

There was collusion between the UK & Chile during the Falklands War.All the other South America country’s were sympathetic to the Argentine claim.
Hence Pinochet felt safe in the UK,which he was.it was the Spanish who wanted him.
And yet Pinochet was another leader of a country where so many people "Disappeared" but Thatcher still welcomed him with open arms.

Spoonz Red E

And yet Pinochet was another leader of a country where so many people "Disappeared" but Thatcher still welcomed him with open arms.
I remember when he was held here under house arrest at the request of Spain to face the music for his actions.
It looked as if Spain would get its way and Pinochet would face trial and then all sorts of behind the scenes pushing and pulling seemed to be going on at the high levels of the British establishment.
Culminating with Jack Straw saying he couldn't be given over for 'medical reasons'.
Straw's volte face felt very much like he had been given a strict talking too in a dark room somewhere.

Oldsmobile-88

Culminating with Jack Straw saying he couldn't be given over for 'medical reasons'.
Straw's volte face felt very much like he had been given a strict talking too in a dark room somewhere.
Yes I remember that.Jack Straw he was caught between the devil & the deep blue sea.

A relative of mine was in the Met Police Diplomatic Section.He said what a really decent man he was & was popular with the officers,something that could not be said about many of the others in the government at the time.

Antony Moxey

Anyway, back to films. Last Christmas - a something and nothing about a selfish girl who realises the error of her ways and turns into someone everyone likes in the end. A reasonable plot twist half way through, but not much else. Not the worst thing I’ve ever seen though. Six homeless shelters out of ten Londons.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A Walk in the Woods (2015). Bill Bryson (played by Robert Redford) returns to the U.S., where he decides the best way to connect with his homeland is to hike the 2000 mile Appalachian Trail with one of his oldest friends, Stephen Katz (played by Nick Nolte). A very enjoyable ramble through the American countryside, with plenty of little stories to keep you entertained. 7/10.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Seven Samurai (1954). We discussed watching this film when we were out in Japan last year, and have finally got around to watching it. For some reason I couldn't get in to it, despite it supposed to be one the of the greats. Didn't last to the end 4/10. The film inspired The Magnificent Seven (with Yul Bryner and Steve McQueen) which I think we'll be trying soon.

GJW

Anyway, back to films. Last Christmas - a something and nothing about a selfish girl who realises the error of her ways and turns into someone everyone likes in the end. A reasonable plot twist half way through, but not much else. Not the worst thing I’ve ever seen though. Six homeless shelters out of ten Londons.
Yes, I’d score it about the same. Saw it yesterday. The twist was unexpected and probably the most intriguing and touching part of the film. Great to have the George Michael tracks throughout the film. I admit to having something in my eye when she suddenly realises what has happened. Good Christmas film. Worth a watch.

GJW

Double post.

Avening Posse

Troy. Brad Pitt plays Achilles in this version of Homer’s The Iliad. Good but not great 7/10

DB9

A Beautiful day In The Neighborhood. Starring Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers who was a children TV presenter of a pre-school programme that ran from the 1960's to the 1990's in the US. A cynical reporter is told to meet Rogers and write about him, Think he was trying to find out if he was really nice or just the character was but he was a nice person in real life as he was on his show. I'd never heard of him but googled him and an interesting read. The film, Nothing much happened but flowed really nicely and i just really enjoyed it. 8/10