• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Donnie Brasco.

Watched it with my daughter, and had to put on the sub-titles. I was reminded of the times when she was young that I would switch off any video with bad language. Still makes I uncomfortable watching anything like that with her, even though I know she's worldly wise nowadays !

Banksy

The Last Full Measure 2019.Christopher Plummer , William Hurt , Ed Harris, Samual L Jackson , Jeremy Irvine , Peter Fonda ( in his last film ). The fight to get the Medal of Honor for William H Pitsenbarger an airforce medic who made the ultimate sacrifice to help badly wounded soldiers in the Vietnam War.
Extremely well acted and touching movie . Think Hacksaw Ridge but from another slant.10/10

Alistair20000

I rewatched Enigma (2001) yesterday. Bletchley Park and the codebreakers that did so much secretly to help the WWII battle and who were not properly recognised until 1970.

While the film is not completely accurate in terms of the facts it gives a good insight into the work carried out with a real Enigma machine appearing and it’s basic functioning explained.

Lots of pompous condescending males strutting around while cleverer WAAF girls were given menial tasks.

The codebreakers come across as geeky oddballs bordering on the barking mad. While Dougray Scott was excellent in the lead role (very, very loosely based on Alan Turing) I thought Jeremy Northam as the MI5 or MI6 spy catcher was even better. Sinister condescending and patronising.

Good supporting role by Tom Hollander and a cameo from Corin Redgrave.

A rare film where Kate Winslet kept her rather dowdy wartime clothes on while Saffron Burrows showed us a little more.

Great theme music from John Barry although the music critics canned it as not sufficiently innovative.

8.5/10

Rosencrantz

I rewatched Enigma (2001) yesterday. Bletchley Park and the codebreakers that did so much secretly to help the WWII battle and who were not properly recognised until 1970.

While the film is not completely accurate in terms of the facts it gives a good insight into the work carried out with a real Enigma machine appearing and it’s basic functioning explained.

Lots of pompous condescending males strutting around while cleverer WAAF girls were given menial tasks.

The codebreakers come across as geeky oddballs bordering on the barking mad. While Dougray Scott was excellent in the lead role (very, very loosely based on Alan Turing) I thought Jeremy Northam as the MI5 or MI6 spy catcher was even better. Sinister condescending and patronising.

Good supporting role by Tom Hollander and a cameo from Corin Redgrave.

A rare film where Kate Winslet kept her rather dowdy wartime clothes on while Saffron Burrows showed us a little more.

Great theme music from John Barry although the music critics canned it as not sufficiently innovative.

8.5/10
It's a good film but better book.

Alistair20000

It's a good film but better book.
Agree that the book by Robert Harris is excellent (y)

elginCity

Bletchley Park’s contribution to WW2 'over-rated' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54604895

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gunman's Walk (1958) Van Heflin ~ Tab Hunter ~ Kathryn Grant

Gunfighter turned rancher faces trouble with his eldest son who wants to be more nortorious than his father while the younger faces his father's wrath for courting a half-Indian girl. Nothing spectacular but it did hold my interest. 7.5/10

Banksy

Frank Capra’s Mr Deeds goes to Town 1936. Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur.The restored version.
super film considering how long ago it was made. Small town boy inherits a fortune and decides to give it all away. 10/10 from me.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gunman's Walk (1958) Van Heflin
Van Heflin was a reliable actor - very good in Shane and 3.10 To Yuma.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bletchley Park’s contribution to WW2 'over-rated' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54604895
I don't believe that for one minute when you consider that Stalin's armies benefitted hugely from Bletchley Park info that told them when and how the Germans planned to attack in what would be the world's greatest tank battle at Kursk. This battle led to the decimation of the German panzer armies from which they never recovered. After Kursk the Hun were always in retreat.

Bletchley Park also confirmed reports that the Battlecruiser Scharnhorst was at sea and heading towards an allied convoy steaming towards to Murmansk. The battleship HMS Duke of York used radar to zero in her ten 14inch guns on the fleeing ship and send her to the bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/scharnhorst_01.shtml

Admiral Sir Andrew Cunningham benefitted greatly from Bletchley's information that led to the successful outcome at the "Battle of Cape Matapan" that saw the sinking of several Italian large cruisers and destroyers. After Crete the Italian fleet never left harbour for the rest of the war.