• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Asterix: the secret of the magic potion (2018) 10/10. Great to see my heroes in a proper animation worthy of the original cartoon books, unlike the poor early animations and the awful live action efforts. Not everyone’s cup of magic potion but if you are a fan you’ll enjoy it, By Toutatis!
Anyone remember Weetabix doing Asterix cardboard cut out figures and the whole back of the box would be a scene from an Asterix story (probably Late seventies)?
I can just about remember all that.

Funnily enough, we just watched the above film last week which the kiddiwinks thoroughly enjoyed. As a result, I went on ebay and bought them a load of Asterix books which they've been snarfing their way though.

iscalad

It is truly a classic, Also what Hants was saying about London places etc it is interesting to see in the background bomb damage buildings or ones that look like they're being repaired/demolished
If it ever comes on Talking Pictures, I would recommend Hue and Cry. Set around bomb sites and purported to be the first Ealing comedy. I would say it's a kid's film, but it does have dear old Jack Warner.

DB9

If it ever comes on Talking Pictures, I would recommend Hue and Cry. Set around bomb sites and purported to be the first Ealing comedy. I would say it's a kid's film, but it does have dear old Jack Warner.
I think i remember it, Has a young Harry Fowler in it but its been ages since I've watched it. Ealing Studios made films people wanted to see after the darkness of WW2, Most of them were light hearted

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

It was a Labour of Love 😉

Banksy

Knowing 2009. Nicholas Cage. Children are given foreknowledge of the coming end of the world caused by an abnormal solar flare. An enjoyable film , if you can call the apocalypse enjoyable.

Mr Jinx

Knowing 2009. Nicholas Cage. Children are given foreknowledge of the coming end of the world caused by an abnormal solar flare. An enjoyable film , if you can call the apocalypse enjoyable.
Nicholas Cage has now become a genre.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jack Warner was a villain in that one. Alastair Sim was in it, too, as a writer for a boys' paper whose stories inspired Harry Fowler and his gang.

Banksy

Nicholas Cage has now become a genre.
I know what you mean , but I think that was one of his better films.

geoffwp

I didn’t actually, I merely enquired as to whether you watched any other types of films as your viewing, based on your reviews, seemed to consist solely of black and white films. It was just a question with nothing inferred or implied, and I asked it because I was interested in what your answer would be.

Oh, and as for being ‘put out’, I wasn’t. Again it was just a question as to why his reply was needlessly aggressive.
It wasn't.

geoffwp

I know what you mean , but I think that was one of his better films.
I most definitely agree. That scene where he is driving through the city streets in carnage as people panic and the camera settles on one couple. They are standing still, holding each other, ignoring the pandemonium crashing around them, a small island of silence and calm in a crazy storm. Brilliant film for me as a sci fi buff.