• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Twelve O'clock High (1949) Gregory Peck Gary Merrill Dean Jagger

Much lauded by former aircrew of the USAAF's 8th Airforce. Peck plays an Brigadier General sent to sort out an underperforming bomb group. The ever dependable Dean Jagger walked away with the best supporting actor nomination for his portrayal of the general's elderly, but supportive adjutant.
Great film.:)

Red Lion

'Oldboy'. Apparently a Spike Lee re-make of a cult Korean (or something like that) movie.

This bloke who is a bit of a tosser messes up the big deal that would have kept him in his job and proceeds to get absolutely off his face.
When he wakes, he comes to realise he has been imprisoned, in solitary confinement, and is kept there for 20 years. His only contact with the outside world is a tv, and through that he comes to learn he has been framed for the rape and murder of his estranged wife, and that their (at the time very young) daughter has been adopted. On the tv he gets to see her grow up over the course of time through various documentaries.
His captor periodically subdues him with anaesthetic for various 'maintenance', and after the final time he wakes up to find he is free, so he sets out to get revenge, to clear his name and to make amends to his daughter.

If you take how good he got at fighting while held captive, and the far fetched bits with a pinch of salts, it is a cracker, the twist at the end is sublime IMHO. 9/10

Last edited:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The original was so much better than the remake of Oldboy

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great film.:)
It was indeed.

You could almost believe it was filmed in England. Apparently the watch/control tower was especially built to resemble the types used at Bomber Command OTU airfields. The outdoor shots of the rows of Nissen Huts, plus the white painted kerbside stones, looked very much like the set had been modeled on RAF Tibenham, the home base of the actor Lt Colonel and eventually, Brig General James Stewart USAF.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Man From Laramie. James Stewart Arthur Kennedy Cathy O'Donnell

10 years after Colonel James M Stewart piloted a B-24 Liberator Bomber over Nazi Germany, he was driving a wagon pulled by 6 mules in a western filmed in New Mexico.

Cathy O'Donnell, who later played Charlton Heston's leper sister in Ben-Hur, was the pretty lady.

Antony Moxey

The Walk. The story of the bonkers Frenchman who walked across a high wire between the two towers of the WTC in the mid 70s. The CGI was a bit much in places, and the narration from the top of the Statue of Liberty unnecessary but it was an enjoyable tale nonetheless. 6/10

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Walk. The story of the bonkers Frenchman who walked across a high wire between the two towers of the WTC in the mid 70s. The CGI was a bit much in places, and the narration from the top of the Statue of Liberty unnecessary but it was an enjoyable tale nonetheless. 6/10
I guess that's the same story which is covered in the documentary Man On Wire. The documentary is compelling if you haven't see it.

Red Lion

The original was so much better than the remake of Oldboy
Will look out for that......

Back on topic, 'Odd Thomas'

Based on a series of Dean Koontz books that my eldest enjoyed reading.

The lad who plays Chekov in the re-booted Star Trek series (who sadly died recently-ish) plays the lead role, a young adult with various 'gifts' among them being able to see (but not hear) dead people.
He senses a major calamity is brewing in his small hometown and with help from his sassy lady-friend sets out to try and avert it.
It is a bit schmaltzy in places (not that I've seen any, but how I would imagine the Twilight movies are) but enjoyable. 7/10

iscalad

Airplane! Still funny after all those years and all those viewings. 9/10

Antony Moxey

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Brad Pitt in the lead who gets younger from birth to death. Good cast, good premise to the story but Jesus was it ever dull. Bored stupid a long, long time before the end, I really couldn't care what happened other than I wanted it to happen fairly quickly as I was rapidly losing the will to live. zzzz 3/10