• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
El Dorado (1967)

Western in the Rio Bravo style.......i.e. drunken lawman + quirky old-timer + youngster + John Wayne take on the bad guys. Robert Mitchum is the drunk. I liked Arthur Hunnicutt as the old-timer. Nothing out of the ordinary, but a watchable 6 out of 10.
Twas really a remake of Rio Bravo by Howard Hawks with Mitchum for Dean Martin , James Caan for Ricky Nelson.Good interplay between Mitchum and Wayne though.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Twas really a remake of Rio Bravo by Howard Hawks with Mitchum for Dean Martin , James Caan for Ricky Nelson.Good interplay between Mitchum and Wayne though.
Hawks liked the storyline so much that he had a third go at it - Rio Lobo in 1970.

Banksy

Hawks liked the storyline so much that he had a third go at it - Rio Lobo in 1970.
True , got all three in my dvd western collection sad soul that I am.

Banksy

Purgatory 1999. Fantasy western. A gang of outlaws find their way to a hidden valley and a peaceful town where residents shun swearing, alcohol, guns and any kind of violence but resemble dead Western heroes. An unusual western with morals this.The opening scenes of the outlaw gang robbing the bank are reminiscent of The Wild Bunch with just as much action to boot.Eric Roberts as the outlaw leader , Sam Shepard as Wild Bill Hickok, Randy Quaid as Doc Holiday.Satisfying ending. Nine 45’s out of ten holsters.

Antony Moxey

Don’t look up. Bit meh if I’m honest. I get the satire, but quite often, and I think it does in this case, it descends into smug hey look at us, aren’t we a bit wacky yet also a bit cutting edge. It had its moments, but I found Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep both hugely irritating - come to think of it, has Meryl Streep ever had a role where she’s not hugely irritating? A good message, but not particularly well told.

Five stroppy Exewebbers out of ten apocalyptic disasters.

Banksy

Meryl Streep? See my post #9000 for my answer to that.

Mr Jinx

Don’t look up. Bit meh if I’m honest. I get the satire, but quite often, and I think it does in this case, it descends into smug hey look at us, aren’t we a bit wacky yet also a bit cutting edge. It had its moments, but I found Jennifer Lawrence and Meryl Streep both hugely irritating - come to think of it, has Meryl Streep ever had a role where she’s not hugely irritating? A good message, but not particularly well told.

Five stroppy Exewebbers out of ten apocalyptic disasters.
I think, with Streep at least, that was supposed to be the whole point.

iscalad

Got around to Munich: Edge of War. Not my usual fare but found it quite interesting and well acted. Just for Fred 7/10

Antony Moxey

The Raid. I know it’s been out for yonks so don’t know why I haven’t got round to seeing it until now. Similar concept to the excellent Karl Urban Dredd movie, plod are charged with getting a drug baron out of his high rise building, which also happens to be a safe house for the local crims. Thus plod have to fight their way up, floor by floor.

Hyper violent, it’s also utterly relentless and pretty much a continuous ninety minute fight. If nothing else, it’s some going by the actors to keep up such relentlessness - some of the fights are a good number of minutes long of full on contact. Fantastic stuff, absolutely loved it.

Ten machetes out of ten roundhouse kicks.

fred binneys head

The Raid is an awesome film, as is the sequel.