• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
1917. Finally got to watch this as its now available on Amazon Prime for free. Really enjoyed this and would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it, The use of the one camera for the whole of the film was a brave move and worked totally in my view, Gave me the feeling of the acutal distance and time they had to do. 9/10.
I was thinking , one of your lists ......or ........ i.e in this case say 1917 or All Quiet on the Western Front choice might be interesting.Throw in the odd film , book , tv program , etc. Maybe sometime.
As to the film , saw it on the big screen, came across well on there.A different war , but enjoyed it more than Dunkirk.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

I was thinking , one of your lists ......or ........ i.e in this case say 1917 or All Quiet on the Western Front choice might be interesting.Throw in the odd film , book , tv program , etc. Maybe sometime.
As to the film , saw it on the big screen, came across well on there.A different war , but enjoyed it more than Dunkirk.
Dunkirk although is a good film it felt more like a documentary rather than a movie, Maybe because of the less dialogue and the director wanting sweeping views of the whole beach rather than concentrate on actors, Just my opinion mind.

Banksy

Yes , you’re right , like a documentary sums it up. Also , while I appreciate it was meant to be in keeping with the tone of the film , I found the music soundtrack quite wearing .

DB9

Yes , you’re right , like a documentary sums it up. Also , while I appreciate it was meant to be in keeping with the tone of the film , I found the music soundtrack quite wearing .
I did find Tom Hardy? (Pilot) always seemed to be looking into the distance and away with the fairies look on his face annoying. I guess when I think of RAF pilots of WW2 it's like The Battle of Britain film or Angels 1 5, That tally ho sort of attitude, Not someone who was just trying to look "Moody" all the time.

iscalad

I did find Tom Hardy? (Pilot) always seemed to be looking into the distance and away with the fairies look on his face annoying. I guess when I think of RAF pilots of WW2 it's like The Battle of Britain film or Angels 1 5, That tally ho sort of attitude, Not someone who was just trying to look "Moody" all the time.
The 1958 film was better.

DB9

The 1958 film was better.
That Dunkirk version, Did it have John Mills in it?

iscalad

That Dunkirk version, Did it have John Mills in it?
That's the one

DB9

That's the one
Have seen that one and as usual those films not that long after the war tend to get it right, I think it might be something to do with that those in front and behind the camera fought and lived through those dark days, It kind of makes it more "Authentic".

Banksy

I had an interesting conversation along those lines a few weeks back.Next to us is a nursery that’s fallen out of use.But they use some of the buildings they used to grow stuff in for home clear out sales / boot sales.I idly picked up a Battle of Britain type of book and one of the blokes who runs it who we’ve got to know sidled up and told me about his uncle who was a B of B pilot over these same skies eighty years ago.( They call this small corner hellfire corner for obvious reasons.) He said his uncle was nineteen at the time and according to his family could barely tie his shoe laces and tie properly! He shot down two German planes and had to ditch his own Spit over the channel.We forget how young most of them were.
we regularly get Spits over this bit flight path is right over the house , one does paying trips and another two often fly over together.

DB9

I had an interesting conversation along those lines a few weeks back.Next to us is a nursery that’s fallen out of use.But they use some of the buildings they used to grow stuff in for home clear out sales / boot sales.I idly picked up a Battle of Britain type of book and one of the blokes who runs it who we’ve got to know sidled up and told me about his uncle who was a B of B pilot over these same skies eighty years ago.( They call this small corner hellfire corner for obvious reasons.) He said his uncle was nineteen at the time and according to his family could barely tie his shoe laces and tie properly! He shot down two German planes and had to ditch his own Spit over the channel.We forget how young most of them were.
we regularly get Spits over this bit flight path is right over the house , one does paying trips and another two often fly over together.
They were young and seem to have no fear, They probably did but rarely showed it, Just like those brave guys storming the beaches on D-Day, Going straight into machine gun fire and cutting them down almost instantly, Look at those graves and see how young they were.