• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Man of Steel. Despite casting Alistair Cook in the title role and a rather annoying Catheine Tate as Lois Lane, this turned out to be a lot better than I though it would be. Good fights, excellent baddie and plenty of action are the order of the day and pretty well done they are too. The constant flashbacks don't help to keep things rolling along - why not just make the film in chronological order like the original Christopher Reeve version - but it's an enjoyable enough, if slightly too long, romp for a Saturday night. Might give it another go at some point 7/10

Antony Moxey

Chasing mavericks. Gnarly old surfing crusty teaches eager young buck how to surf the big wave. Bit too much sentimentality and a few too many unnecessary back stories didn't stop this being pretty watchable actually, especially the pretty spectacular surfing scenes. Rather a sad - and somewhat predictable - ending, especially as it was based on a true story, but worth a watch nonetheless. 6/10

Mr Jinx

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Crock of shoite. 1/10.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Desolation of Smaug.

It's a great spectacle to behold and I'm sure less 'picky' people than me will be more handsomely entertained by it.

On the strength of his brilliant LOTR films, it seems that Peter Jackson isn't against eking more mileage out of Tolkien by making 3 films out of a book that not only preceded the trilogy, but has less than 300 pages. I'll give it 8/10

Stand by for 'The Silmarillion' in a couple of years time.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not strictly a film maybe, but the film-length TV adaptation of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. ;(

Grecian_Jay

Knowing.

After an hour I said to the missus that I thought this was a good film, by the end I felt like I had lost 2 hours of my life. Nicholas Cge runs around a lot looking pretty miserable and then it suffers the most pointless ending ever.

Not happy. 3/10.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Boat That Rocked.

Set in 1966 it's a sort of parody of Radio Caroline and the British Governments endeavours to close down pirate radio stations.

Reviewing this film, Jonathon Ross called it, "A hugely enjoyable feelgood movie.

I thought it was crepe - and as it was a commercial box office failure, so did many others. 5/10

Avening Posse

Divergent

Daughter dragged me to Gloucester Quays to see this tonight, not bad, a bit like the Hunger Games, the first part of a trilogy set in the future, the Chicago area is divided into 5 factions, bit of a love angle, a big brother government thing going on,a few people get killed, had a nice Pizza at the restaurant next door..........6/10

Mr Jinx

The Wolf on Wall Street.

Another one which didn't quite live up to the massive hype imho. Yes, funny in parts and certainly worthy of a watch, but to me there wasn't enough depth to the plot. It was more about snorting coke and quaffing 'ludes, rather than detail behind the money. But then I guess that's what the general public want. Can't quite work out how the feds and SEC were all over him, but Bernie Madoff was overlooked for the longest time despite several people broadcasting it was a Ponzi scheme long before it was.

6/10

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
One Day.

A boy and girl first meet on the night of their graduation from university. Tomorrow they go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? 7.5/10