• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last Band you saw

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watched Sham 69 at the phoenix a few weeks back. Possibly the shortest (in length) gig I've ever seen.
That was around 20 minutes longer than the time I saw them at The Rainbow Theatre in London,billed as ‘Shams Last Stand’ on the ticket, July 1979.

Lucky to get out in one piece ! They had a very unsavoury following from East London,NF Skins & BM types.

DB9

That was around 20 minutes longer than the time I saw them at The Rainbow Theatre in London,billed as ‘Shams Last Stand’ on the ticket, July 1979.

Lucky to get out in one piece ! They had a very unsavoury following from East London,NF Skins & BM types.
Sounds like many an away games back in the day Olds.

Oldsmobile-88

Sounds like many an away games back in the day Olds.
Indeed..

I remember one of my favourite bands of the era The Ruts would attract a right wing element to cause trouble because of their role in the early RAR movement with Misty in Roots around Southall.
Gigs did not have the security in place that would be mandatory nowadays, so it could be like a Saturday afternoon at a football ground in some venues.
They wrote a memorable song about the issue..’Staring at the Rude Boys’

“A bunch of BMs marched in armed with DMs
Some stand there saluting the air “

Spoonz Red E

Indeed..

I remember one of my favourite bands of the era The Ruts would attract a right wing element to cause trouble because of their role in the early RAR movement with Misty in Roots around Southall.
Gigs did not have the security in place that would be mandatory nowadays, so it could be like a Saturday afternoon at a football ground in some venues.
They wrote a memorable song about the issue..’Staring at the Rude Boys’

“A bunch of BMs marched in armed with DMs
Some stand there saluting the air “
I was at Barbarellas in Birmingham for what should have been a Ruts gig.

They didn't play (I think they postponed to do some promotional filming) but the right wing thugs turned up nonetheless.
The foyer got trashed and several cars were overturned in the street outside.

West Midlands police took an age to arrive (the suspicion was they were quite happy to let things take their course for a while).
I had my girlfriend with me and she had parked her mini outside.

Unbelievably, when we left there was a line of damaged cars with hers in the middle of them unscathed.
It took two years before I could persuade her to go to another gig.

angelic upstart

Horrible stuff Spoonz. I can assure you that isn't the case now. I was one of the youngest there and I'm mid forties!

Cockney Rejects playing the cavern in November.

Bridgy 81

I was at Barbarellas in Birmingham for what should have been a Ruts gig.
I know very different to The Ruts, but wasn’t the Barbarellas club, presumably a few years later, where the people who formed Duran Duran met? Hence their name from the Doctor in the film of the same name (although it was spelt slightly differently).

Bridgy 81

I’m off to Bristol this evening to see Gary Numan for the umpteenth occasion.
I saw him a few times back in the day, including what was billed as his last ever gig at Wembley Arena in 1981!
He was in the musical wilderness for some years after that but has made a comeback recently with a heavier, more guitar based sound mixed in with his customary electronics. This slight change of direction was in part encouraged by people like Dave Grohl and Nine Inch Nails citing him as an influence on their music.
In fact his popularity has returned to the extent that he’s playing Wembley Arena again, for the first time in 40 years, on May 7th.
I’d decided to go to that too for old times sake, but some months ago held off committing as I realized it clashed with our last league game of the season.
As it’s turned out I now have a ticket and an appointment somewhere other than Wembley that day, where I anticipate and equally boisterous and musical crowd, albeit probably singing different songs to Cars and Are Friends Electric?
I’ll go and see Numan again if he’s back at Wembley in the unlikely event that we’re both still upright in 2062 because I imagine City would have been in the Premier League for a few years by then anyway.

Antony Moxey

Saw Gary Numan last year at Beautiful Days. He only did two (I think) numbers from back in the day: Cars and Are Friends Electric, both far rockier than the original version and in the case of Cars far better for it too. Quite liked his set, although thought it a bit odd that he didn’t speak once throughout the entire show other than to say thank you and goodnight at the end.

Not sure I’d pay to see just him again though.

Bridgy 81

Saw Gary Numan last year at Beautiful Days. He only did two (I think) numbers from back in the day: Cars and Are Friends Electric, both far rockier than the original version and in the case of Cars far better for it too. Quite liked his set, although thought it a bit odd that he didn’t speak once throughout the entire show other than to say thank you and goodnight at the end.

Not sure I’d pay to see just him again though.
He’s never been particularly talkative during his perfromances but is I think probably a little (but in truth not much) more animated at his own shows.
Maybe that’s because he’s received so much antipathy over the years he’s more comfortable with and appreciative of people who have taken the trouble to come to see and listen to him specifically.
There does genuinely seem to be a good bond between him and his regular crowd.
Maybe he’s not as confident that’s the case at a festival, although I suppose it’s a good way to play in front of people who haven’t chosen to watch you but if they like it may return or buy some of your stuff.

angelic upstart

Worth noting that Gary Numan is older than Gary Oldman.