• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

L2 Retained Lists

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Be interesting to see who is retained from the ‘youth’. I’m hoping all of them!
This is my slight concern. We are all working on the assumption that if we lose the senior players who are out of contract it's no big loss as many of them weren't playing much anyway and we have youngsters ready to replace them. However, my guess is that Kite, Key, Dodds and probably Randall are also out of contract. Will we even be in a position to offer them new contracts or give first contracts to the latest batch of academy graduates.

benjisheps

This is my slight concern. We are all working on the assumption that if we lose the senior players who are out of contract it's no big loss as many of them weren't playing much anyway and we have youngsters ready to replace them. However, my guess is that Kite, Key, Dodds and probably Randall are also out of contract. Will we even be in a position to offer them new contracts or give first contracts to the latest batch of academy graduates.
Kite and Randall are signed on for next season. I think Key is as well but not sure on Dodds as he was coming back from a long term injury and then broke down again.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kite and Randall are signed on for next season. I think Key is as well but not sure on Dodds as he was coming back from a long term injury and then broke down again.
That's great to hear - I remembered that Sparkes, Collins and Seymour had signed new contracts after breaking into the first-team but wasn't sure about the others.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
What about Dyer and Smerdon?

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some very good players getting released across the league.

I think we'll be well placed next season given we've got promising youngsters (off the back of loan spells) waiting in the wings to replace out of contract players.

The academy will prove even more vital.
Cost cutting measures from Championship clubs will still see the most sought after players turn up at places like Mansfield, Northampton and Salford though, so I don’t imagine things to get an easier for a club like City.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cost cutting measures from Championship clubs will still see the most sought after players turn up at places like Mansfield, Northampton and Salford though, so I don’t imagine things to get an easier for a club like City.
But if there is a £1.25mill salary cap...?
Then it will all be about quality of club, manager, countryside, lifestyle...

Greater Manchester, Mansfield or East Devon? No comparison!

Red Devon

But if there is a £1.25mill salary cap...?
Then it will all be about quality of club, manager, countryside, lifestyle...

Greater Manchester, Mansfield or East Devon? No comparison!
And for how many decades have we heard managers say how difficult it is to attract players to remote locations like the Southwest...players released from say Blackburn, Preston for example will still more than likely chose Salford or Rochdale (L1) over City...likewise anyone released from Forest or Derby would chose Mansfield or Portvale unless the wedge being offered in both instances from Matt Taylor is far bigger than any of us ever imagine it would be.

budegrecian

And for how many decades have we heard managers say how difficult it is to attract players to remote locations like the Southwest...players released from say Blackburn, Preston for example will still more than likely chose Salford or Rochdale (L1) over City...likewise anyone released from Forest or Derby would chose Mansfield or Portvale unless the wedge being offered in both instances from Matt Taylor is far bigger than any of us ever imagine it would be.
& if not a bigger wedge, Matt Taylor has often had to give 3 year contracts to tempt players down from 'up North'. This becomes more of a gamble in these uncertain times.

Red Devon

& if not a bigger wedge, Matt Taylor has often had to give 3 year contracts to tempt players down from 'up North'. This becomes more of a gamble in these uncertain times.
Exactly you only had to watch the Jamie Cureton interview the other week when he explained why he chose Leyton Orient over City because of his “Mrs” living in Essex and working in London...many of these players released from northern clubs will be in the same boat with girlfriends wives having settled jobs close to their current homes.

ryancooper327

GRIMSBY

Bradley Garsmton
Harry Davis
Brandon Buckley
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliott Grandin
Jake Hessenthaler
Harry Cardwell
Ahkeem Rose
Jordan Cook