• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

L1 playing budgets 22/23

Boyo

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at what the L1 table based on highest to lowest playing budget would look like? Here's my thoughts, based on my limited knowledge of turnover, attendances and ownership structures (purely to create some debate):

1. Derby
  2. Sheffield Wednesday
  3. Ipswich
  4. Bolton
  5. Portsmouth
  6. Charlton
  7. MK Dons
  8. Peterborough
  9. Barnsley
  10. Wycombe
  11. Plymouth
  12. Oxford
  13. Burton
  14. Bristol Rovers
  15. FGR
  16. Lincoln
  17. Port Vale
  18. Shrewsbury
  19. Fleetwood
  20. Exeter
  21. Cheltenham
  22. Cambridge
  23. Accrington
  24. Morecambe
I have little doubt that some of these are probably way off!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would anyone like to hazard a guess at what the L1 table based on highest to lowest playing budget would look like? Here's my thoughts, based on my limited knowledge of turnover, attendances and ownership structures (purely to create some debate):

1. Derby
  2. Sheffield Wednesday
  3. Ipswich
  4. Bolton
  5. Portsmouth
  6. Charlton
  7. MK Dons
  8. Peterborough
  9. Barnsley
  10. Wycombe
  11. Plymouth
  12. Oxford
  13. Burton
  14. Bristol Rovers
  15. FGR
  16. Lincoln
  17. Port Vale
  18. Shrewsbury
  19. Fleetwood
  20. Exeter
  21. Cheltenham
  22. Cambridge
  23. Accrington
  24. Morecambe
I wouldn't say you were too far off.

I think Oxford possibly could be a bit higher and I'd have FGR above Gas and Burton.

Fleetwood had a very good budget in previous seasons but no idea what their current situation is.

i8cornwall

I probably wouldnt have Bolton as high 4th and I'd move Mk and Barnsley up one or two places.

Average Joe

The issue is we’ll never know. I can’t see button having a big budget, they had fairly bigger wages in the championship and at a wild guess didn’t make much money from it..

do derby have a budget? They had 0 in the championship

sign of the chimes

1. Derby
  2. Sheffield Wednesday
  3. Ipswich
  4. Bolton
  5. Portsmouth
  6. Charlton
  7. MK Dons
  8. Peterborough
  9. Barnsley
  10. Wycombe
  11. Plymouth
  12. Oxford
  13. Burton
  14. Bristol Rovers
  15. FGR
  16. Lincoln
  17. Port Vale
  18. Shrewsbury
  19. Fleetwood
  20. Exeter
  21. Cheltenham
  22. Cambridge
  23. Accrington
  24. Morecambe
I suspect Ipswich's budget was seven figures last season; and expect it to remain so this season as no signs their new owners, who expected to get out of the division last year, are lowering expectations or the budget.

Wednesday may have been in a similar area last season because of the contracts they came down with; and though expecting them to cut their cloth a bit more this season think they'll be up their budget wise unless Chansiri pulls the plug.

Given that Derby were such a basket case last season - despite Rooney's incredibly efforts - they won't have players on 'proper' Championship wages on legacy contracts. Even if they get taken over in the next few days I think they'll have a competitive budget but wouldn't be surprised to see them behind both Ipswich and the Wendys.

Think you might have Wycombe a bit high for next season - they got promoted out of Leagues Two and One with bottom 3/4 budgets and although they came back down last season with a bigger budget than they'd have had on the way up I think they'll be back down in lower-mid table next season budget wise; and a bit more reliant on Ainsworth's brilliant managerial performance - which, of course, reiterates that it's what you do with what you've got that counts.

Number13

Barnsley's budget was £7m last year. Even allowing for that to drop a bit, it gives an idea what we are facing when a team nobody believes will be "up there" has a budget probably 3x ours..............