• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just how should we finish the season?

i8cornwall

Anyway, Cheltenham might not be able to start the season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52583980
We can all see how this is going to end, they will go up and go bust part way through next season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any idea what the full transcript of that article is? I've no desire to sign up to something which might end up costing me £59.
I pondered cutting & pasting it, but given the myriad of challenges journalism is facing at the minute decided not to.

There's lots of good stuff on The Athletic and if you signed up for the free trial, I'd wager there's a fair chance you may elect to subscribe at the end of it. Give them a go!

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We can all see how this is going to end, they will go up and go bust part way through next season.
Which would make it 2 seasons in a row that we lost out to a club who couldn’t then afford it

Cygnus

On Sky Sports today, Gary Neville, who has suddenly become an expert on lower league football, said that he thinks it’s 99% certain now that League 1 and 2 won’t re-start and final League platings will be decided by points per game. He gave the main reason being financial, because unlike the Premier League and Championship there is no big money tv incentive to finish the season. A sad way for our season to finish and our poor run in the last few games looks certain to cost us promotion and to make things worse Argyle look likely to sneak into League 1. It all feels unfair and further illustrates Football is all about money and no one really cares about about what happens to League 1 and 2 teams. That’s four season’s running now that we have narrowly missed out on promotion.

Putting a perspective on things though, people’s health is the most important thing and the fact that football is even thinking of coming back this soon is wrong, but again money talks I guess!

Legohead

Banned
I really can't see how it is legally fair for the EFL to drop leagues 1 and 2 but not the Championship.

Anyway, I suspect if we were mid table now then we wouldn't be so fussed about the league ending on PPG. So in that respect we too are acting selfishly and getting angry about the situation purely because we as a club will lose out.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
On Sky Sports today, Gary Neville, who has suddenly become an expert on lower league football, said that he thinks it’s 99% certain now that League 1 and 2 won’t re-start and final League platings will be decided by points per game. He gave the main reason being financial, because unlike the Premier League and Championship there is no big money tv incentive to finish the season. A sad way for our season to finish and our poor run in the last few games looks certain to cost us promotion and to make things worse Argyle look likely to sneak into League 1. It all feels unfair and further illustrates Football is all about money and no one really cares about about what happens to League 1 and 2 teams. That’s four season’s running now that we have narrowly missed out on promotion.

Putting a perspective on things though, people’s health is the most important thing and the fact that football is even thinking of coming back this soon is wrong, but again money talks I guess!
Whilst it's obvious that money rules, You do say "Our poor run in the last few games looks certain to cost us promotion" if that what does it then we only have ourselves to blame because up until then we were knocking around the auto's. Typical though, the last decent result comes against the ***** down the road and they go up because after us mauling them they bloody turned around things! 😠😠

budegrecian

I may well be in a minority here, but I really don't want to go up if it is decided that the season is finished. Where is the joy in that that? How are we supposed to celebrate? I'd rather go up next season, or whenever, by achieving it on the pitch, with all the frantic delirium that accompanies it.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree. The reality is we are very unlikely to be a Championship club so promotion seasons into league 1 are what it’s all about for us in terms of actual glory... I’d rather see that with the run ins, excitement, last day scenes in the sun etc than find ourselves in league 1 struggling in the bottom third with none of those memories even made.

jimmy

I agree. The reality is we are very unlikely to be a Championship club so promotion seasons into league 1 are what it’s all about for us in terms of actual glory... I’d rather see that with the run ins, excitement, last day scenes in the sun etc than find ourselves in league 1 struggling in the bottom third with none of those memories even made.
I agree but only to a certain extent. Those memories are an added bonus..the cherry on top. I am a bit more pragmatic and after Matt's work over the past two years and big contracts, I want to see us in League One. Even if we replaced another club gone pop! (Not that I like to see clubs go bust).

Anyway, another crack in League Two, with many of our youngsters filling in, seems enticing too. We just want a decision.

InTheBigBank

Resigned

Funny you should mention Gary Neville. My source informs me that our man Matty T has been in conversation via telephone with Mr Neville; the basic gist of the call being ‘it’s alright for you lot at Salford, you’re minted’.