• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just how should we finish the season?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Possible final positions calculations

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's how i understood him too.

The reason for mentioning Macclesfield was to demonstrate that fans could easily be influenced by factors that shouldn't come into it, i.e. what's best for their particular club, and any vote of Trust members would probably be influenced in the same way as members are fans too.

Even if we could get beyond that and members could disengage from those factors (which would be nigh on impossible IMHO), in order for there to be anything like a meaningful and informed vote would be a big task. For example, members would have to be issued with all of the relevant information like cash projections applicable to each scenario. The problem there is that we don't currently know exactly how each scenario would work. We'd also need to know things like when matches would be played and how players who would ordinarily be out of contract at the end of June would be treated. We don't know that either yet.

The point i'm making is that there are far too many unknowns at the moment and so it would be a largely futile exercise to hold some sort of vote as the result isn't likely to be very credible.
Understand all that but we and a couple of other clubs are fans owned, The majority aren't so what their fans think won't come into it, We would go to any EFL meeting with 3000 odd "owners" (Trust Members) voices behind the person representing our club, some think would need the backing of those members to a particular way of proceeding ie null and void, PPG etc

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just for completion here is the League 1 calculated final positions

Rosencrantz

The whole exercise of setting up a vote of trust members with all the relevant information needed, as LOG states, will take far longer time than the club will realistically have from the EFL to decide. Also with government information likely to be changing often it is also a very fluid situation, let alone any intentions of the Premier League which like it or not will have an effect.

It might be good PR, but likely not have much of a practical effect. Especially as going by the comments on here, it would be a very split decision which is unlikely to be helpful.

Grecian_Matt

I would be really annoyed if I was Pompey, the points gap between Oxford and Portsmouth per game is nothing, and any team in that bracket should feel robbed.

LOG

Understand all that but we and a couple of other clubs are fans owned, The majority aren't so what their fans think won't come into it, We would go to any EFL meeting with 3000 odd "owners" (Trust Members) voices behind the person representing our club, some think would need the backing of those members to a particular way of proceeding ie null and void, PPG etc
The Trust might have 3,000+ members but the club only gets one vote at the EFL table. Any club, fan owned or not, could hold a fan poll and go to the EFL with the outcome but they all get one vote too.

That aside, it's the validity of the outcome of a fan/member vote that i'm questioning, never mind the practicalities of setting it up. Without all of the necessary information being made available the result wouldn't really carry any weight IMHO and the problem there is that the necessary information isn't available.

A lot of people thought they were making informed decisions in the Brexit vote and look at how that turned out.

DB9

The Trust might have 3,000+ members but the club only gets one vote at the EFL table. Any club, fan owned or not, could hold a fan poll and go to the EFL with the outcome but they all get one vote too.

That aside, it's the validity of the outcome of a fan/member vote that i'm questioning, never mind the practicalities of setting it up. Without all of the necessary information being made available the result wouldn't really carry any weight IMHO and the problem there is that the necessary information isn't available.

A lot of people thought they were making informed decisions in the Brexit vote and look at how that turned out.
One person at the meeting yes but that person is representing 3000 "Owners" but I agree there would be a split decision on which outcome would be best, Just have to look on here to see people's opinions. Someone else on here has just said it's a moving situation and what might be the way forward today could be totally different by Wednesday, This bloody virus is erratic to say the least and very unpredictable, For instance the clubs could play behind closed doors and still players/staff get infected and if someone gets seriously ill or worse then that would be it. As for the Brexit thing, The result I wasn't comparing or the aftermath, It was the fact the Government at the time thought that decision was needing the public's backing not just 650 MPs, This is a huge decision for us as a club going forward

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I don't think the decision needs to be taken this coming week.

Legohead

Banned
I think the idea of one club taking legal action is that if that club wins the action the EFL couldn't carry on with what it was proposing as it was deemed illegal, Bit like if say a person takes action against the Government because of a pension rule and the judge finds in favour of that person, The Government would have to change things by law because its been deemed they acted unlawfully, So it doesn't need a collective of 72 EFL clubs (I Think) You can't have Peterbourgh winning and the EFL only change things for them and not the others
I see that now DB9. It's so bleddy obvious now you've pointed it out. :LOL:

Reactions: DB9

i8cornwall

The problem with this though is that people will be influenced by factors which shouldn't really come into it.

For instance, if Macclesfiled held a vote the result would likely be, IMHO, that their fans would want the season to either be declared void or the current standings remain as they are as playing out the remaining fixtures could lead to their relegation. However, City fans, using the same decision making process, would vote for something that allowed matches to be played.

The real question for me though is whether matches can be even played safely, behind closed doors or not, and without harming finances beyond the extent to which they already have been.

I also disagree that the club/trust are not sharing information with us. There has been plenty of recent news around things like furloughing of staff and players agreeing to wage deferrals, for example. I think it's more the case that there isn't really any news to share because those in authority, and whose guidance clubs are waiting for, are dragging their heels somewhat as nobody wants to be the one that makes the decision (that's how it feels anyway) and their are too many interested parties involved.
Sorry I did mean that city should just hold a vote with our fans and that would then give the club the info they needed on how to vote when it comes to the EFL vote.

If other clubs wanted to do this then that is down to them.

Maybe it was a little harsh to criticise the club/trust on the information but even a small “this is what stage we are at, the EFL are being XYZ etc” would be better then nothing, especially as rumours and social media seem to be running this story more then the club is.