• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just how should we finish the season?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly, Not ideal for anyone but this way there won't be a case of some winners and some losers which would leave a bad taste and opens up lots of legal action and the only winners in that would be a lot of rich lawyers
There will still be winners and losers even if you void the season. Plymouth, Swindon and Crewe will rightly complain that they are missing out on the potential financial benefits of being in League 1. To get round the issue of legal action I wonder if there is any way that you could say that teams are only allowed to enter the league next season if they accept whatever decision is made about the end of this season. Lots of clubs will no doubt kick up a fuss but no-one has an automatic right to be a league team and there are already rules and regulations that teams have to sign up to.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, what will cost us was the poor reaction to the decision and the disappointing collapse that followed the disallowed goal. We were on top of the time and should have been able to hold out for at least a point which, depending on the precise mathematical formula used, may turn out to have been enough to see us promoted.
Neither this or other decisions will cost us because i cant remember seeing a single thread back then saying "That decision or other bad ones against us this season will cost us promotion because in the near future there is going to be a viral pandemic where all normal life in the UK with sport included will be shut down and we won't be able to finish the season and will have to rely on some stupid Duckworth Lewis method to end the season and see who goes up" The only thing that will cost up if they use some PPG method is us not gaining enough points and a loss of form, NO one else's fault.

i8cornwall

You really are being a complete clown and have absolutely no clue how democracy works. The Trust elects it's board to make decisions on our behalf, just as we elect MP's to Parliament, or Councillors to our local councils. We do not go down the route of having a referendum every five minutes.
Putting aside what you clearly think is insult, please remind me how many referendums we have had in this country in the last few years?

Also note i have said in situations like this, where all fans will be effected I think we should be asked.

So if those elected to the board act in a way you disagree with you won’t be moaning or kick off?

then again we don’t vote people to act in our interest at the club just on who face fits most of the time but that is a different argument.

DB9

There will still be winners and losers even if you void the season. Plymouth, Swindon and Crewe will rightly complain that they are missing out on the potential financial benefits of being in League 1. To get round the issue of legal action I wonder if there is any way that you could say that teams are only allowed to enter the league next season if they accept whatever decision is made about the end of this season. Lots of clubs will no doubt kick up a fuss but no-one has an automatic right to be a league team and there are already rules and regulations that teams have to sign up to.
No not really because they haven't enough points to be promoted, Just like Liverpool, Although close don't have enough points, No team (I think) are either mathimatically safe or doomed, If they say season ends and where you are now is where you finish, Teams will say "Hang on we have enough games to turn things around" to either get promoted/play=offs or saved from relegation that is when Courts and Lawyers could come into it. You null and void it because of this virus and i can't see any judge accept a clubs plea when even the best medical people in the country cant agree what or when is "Safe" for football to begin.

Oliver

The top 3 places should be secure, the main talking point has to be Exeter City or Cheltenham for the 4th place. Would it not be simple as they have to play each other before the real season were to finish, that the 2 sides played a 'winner gets promotion' game behind closed doors on a neutral pitch like Swindon, or is that a too simple answer.

Legohead

Banned
Seriously though. Legal action against the EFL? The likes of Peterborough St's Darragh MacAnthony might have the funds to challenge the EFL if PPG was used to finish the campaign but would the likes of Exeter?

Would it be worth our while spending what little money we do have on a legal challenge that might not even be won.

What about some owners of lower league clubs. Some can't even pay their players let alone fund a legal challenge against the EFL.

DB9

Seriously though. Legal action against the EFL? The likes of Peterborough St's Darragh MacAnthony might have the funds to challenge the EFL if PPG was used to finish the campaign but would the likes of Exeter?

Would it be worth our while spending what little money we do have on a legal challenge that might not even be won.

What about some owners of lower league clubs. Some can't even pay their players let alone fund a legal challenge against the EFL.
I think the idea of one club taking legal action is that if that club wins the action the EFL couldn't carry on with what it was proposing as it was deemed illegal, Bit like if say a person takes action against the Government because of a pension rule and the judge finds in favour of that person, The Government would have to change things by law because its been deemed they acted unlawfully, So it doesn't need a collective of 72 EFL clubs (I Think) You can't have Peterbourgh winning and the EFL only change things for them and not the others

LOG

Well everyone will always have different ideas and thoughts. so if that is an issue is there any point at all asking people to vote on the elections or do anything at all?

The club/trust actually asking all supporters in itself would be enough, most people seem to fall into one of three broad categories anyway;

Null and void/ Cancel the season

Wait to finish the season when safe and viable

PPG or something similar.

Then if you’re idea isn't the one that the majority want for city then so be it, that’s how democracy works.

Currently the club is just doing what it thinks best and not Sharing info with us or asking what the so called owners want them to do.
The problem with this though is that people will be influenced by factors which shouldn't really come into it.

For instance, if Macclesfiled held a vote the result would likely be, IMHO, that their fans would want the season to either be declared void or the current standings remain as they are as playing out the remaining fixtures could lead to their relegation. However, City fans, using the same decision making process, would vote for something that allowed matches to be played.

The real question for me though is whether matches can be even played safely, behind closed doors or not, and without harming finances beyond the extent to which they already have been.

I also disagree that the club/trust are not sharing information with us. There has been plenty of recent news around things like furloughing of staff and players agreeing to wage deferrals, for example. I think it's more the case that there isn't really any news to share because those in authority, and whose guidance clubs are waiting for, are dragging their heels somewhat as nobody wants to be the one that makes the decision (that's how it feels anyway) and their are too many interested parties involved.

DB9

The problem with this though is that people will be influenced by factors which shouldn't really come into it.

For instance, if Macclesfiled held a vote the result would likely be, IMHO, that their fans would want the season to either be declared void or the current standings remain as they are as playing out the remaining fixtures could lead to their relegation. However, City fans, using the same decision making process, would vote for something that allowed matches to be played.

The real question for me though is whether matches can be even played safely, behind closed doors or not, and without harming finances beyond the extent to which they already have been.

I also disagree that the club/trust are not sharing information with us. There has been plenty of recent news around things like furloughing of staff and players agreeing to wage deferrals, for example. I think it's more the case that there isn't really any news to share because those in authority, and whose guidance clubs are waiting for, are dragging their heels somewhat as nobody wants to be the one that makes the decision (that's how it feels anyway) and their are too many interested parties involved.
I think what i8 is saying Log that we are a Trust run club where the members/fans are the owners and as owners need to have a say? (I hope that is what i8 means) As far as i know Macclesfield is privatly owned so therefore their fans have no say in the running of the club on a day to day basis and even if the club asked their fans for an opinion the club does not have to listen to them or it wouldn't hold up if it went further.

LOG

I think what i8 is saying Log that we are a Trust run club where the members/fans are the owners and as owners need to have a say? (I hope that is what i8 means) As far as i know Macclesfield is privatly owned so therefore their fans have no say in the running of the club on a day to day basis and even if the club asked their fans for an opinion the club does not have to listen to them or it wouldn't hold up if it went further.
That's how i understood him too.

The reason for mentioning Macclesfield was to demonstrate that fans could easily be influenced by factors that shouldn't come into it, i.e. what's best for their particular club, and any vote of Trust members would probably be influenced in the same way as members are fans too.

Even if we could get beyond that and members could disengage from those factors (which would be nigh on impossible IMHO), in order for there to be anything like a meaningful and informed vote would be a big task. For example, members would have to be issued with all of the relevant information like cash projections applicable to each scenario. The problem there is that we don't currently know exactly how each scenario would work. We'd also need to know things like when matches would be played and how players who would ordinarily be out of contract at the end of June would be treated. We don't know that either yet.

The point i'm making is that there are far too many unknowns at the moment and so it would be a largely futile exercise to hold some sort of vote as the result isn't likely to be very credible.