• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just floating a thought.....

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Isn’t Trust money Club money?! or does Trust money only come in to play when you agree a capital expenditure project and need guarantee money to see it over the line. Where does the money go then?!
Try reading the Trust Annual Accounts ! :unsure:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why not put the trust membership fees up to whatever you want to pay above a minimum payment?! Aren’t we the members the ‘owners’?! Is the minimum you pay still £3 a month?! Would be a more logical way of ongoing fund raising and would be a way for the majority to feel more involved.
I mailed the Trust a while ago to suggest a scheme to get existing members to increase their subs. The reason being, that when I first joined I was paying the minimum £2 a month.

Some years later (last time we got promoted to League One?) there was then some comms to members asking us to consider increasing our contribution and I upped mine to a tenner after I thought to myself it was only rouggly the equivalent of a pint a week.

Last year, I decided that I'd repeat that, assuming that a pint is now approaching £4 a pint.

The problem with the standing order to the Trust is it never increases. I wrote to the Trust to ask if they thought a 'pint a week' could be a campaign to pitch to existing members that contribute less than £16 a month and that the subs could be automatically increased. I didn't get a response.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I mailed the Trust a while ago to suggest a scheme to get existing members to increase their subs. The reason being, that when I first joined I was paying the minimum £2 a month.

Some years later (last time we got promoted to League One?) there was then some comms to members asking us to consider increasing our contribution and I upped mine to a tenner after I thought to myself it was only rouggly the equivalent of a pint a week.

Last year, I decided that I'd repeat that, assuming that a pint is now approaching £4 a pint.

The problem with the standing order to the Trust is it never increases. I wrote to the Trust to ask if they thought a 'pint a week' could be a campaign to pitch to existing members that contribute less than £16 a month and that the subs could be automatically increased. I didn't get a response.
You make a good point. Ten-plus years ago when I was on the Trust board, I designed a flyer which dared to suggest how much you might like to consider giving every month, according to what you earned. I'd seen lots of charities do something not altogether dissimilar and thought it was an eminently reasonable idea, but it was shot down in flames.

SaintJames

Not getting a response is very disappointing to say the least. Your ideas were worthy of good debate. I hardly drink but have many other vices that have gone up significantly in the period of my Trust memnbership of more than a decade :)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hadn't really intended this thread to become about what the Trust does, or does not, do and was suggesting that any initiative be independent of the Trust, but hey-ho.

Apart from anything else, even after almost 20 years, not every supporter is a Trust member.

Having made that point, I know from my time on the Trust Board that one of the issues with the subscription is that, once it gets to a certain level, VAT becomes payable and the Trust have always tried to avoid that, encouraging members to donate instead. If, for example, the subscription for every member was formally raised to, say, £5 a month, I believe it would take us into that arena. Whilst it formally remains at £2.00 per month across the board, I believe that any sum beyond that is treated as a voluntary donation and not subject to VAT.

SaintJames

I hadn't really intended this thread to become about what the Trust does, or does not, do and was suggesting that any initiative be independent of the Trust, but hey-ho.

Apart from anything else, even after almost 20 years, not every supporter is a Trust member.

Having made that point, I know from my time on the Trust Board that one of the issues with the subscription is that, once it gets to a certain level, VAT becomes payable and the Trust have always tried to avoid that, encouraging members to donate instead. If, for example, the subscription for every member was formally raised to, say, £5 a month, I believe it would take us into that arena. Whilst it formally remains at £2.00 per month across the board, I believe that any sum beyond that is treated as a voluntary donation and not subject to VAT.
That was my understanding as well

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Thanks Pete. I wasn't aware of the VAT situation.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back on topic then, what would your vision of the crowd funder look lik @Pete Martin (CTID)?

Would it be a free-for-all, donate what you can / want or would it be more like everyone chuck in twenty quid each?

Reading this thread has prompted me to get trust membership for the first time. I've been watching City since 1984 when I was 9 although I've lived away from Exeter since 1993 so only get to two or three home games a season whilst visiting my mum so I thought I should finally contribute.

SaintJames

Reading this thread has prompted me to get trust membership for the first time. I've been watching City since 1984 when I was 9 although I've lived away from Exeter since 1993 so only get to two or three home games a season whilst visiting my mum so I thought I should finally contribute.
good on yer Elstree