• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Josh Key...

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sheer quality, nice to see our manager and other players congratulating him on an excellent piece of work.

Josh was lucky to escape a serious head injury, his head bounces off the ground quite alarmingly after being fouled.

Last edited:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also love the reaction of the Crawley player after he had his pocket picked and again after Key was fouled 😂

fred binneys head

I love the reaction of John Yems :)

andrew p long

So what is Josh's best position/what position will he end up?

Of course he's been a revelation at right back this season, having grown up as a winger/forward. And then played wing back when on loan at Tivvy.

I think he could be a very good number 10 (if MJ is unavailable) His pace ,power, skill and goal threat could be very useful there.

And on the Newport MTD thread TPC has made the perceptive point that Josh looked very comfortable as a right sided centre back in a back three (or five!) .

Views?

jimmy

Of course he's been a revelation at right back this season, having grown up as a winger/forward. And then played wing back when on loan at Tivvy.

I think he could be a very good number 10 (if MJ is unavailable) His pace ,power, skill and goal threat could be very useful there.

And on the Newport MTD thread TPC has made the perceptive point that Josh looked very comfortable as a right sided centre back in a back three (or five!) .

Views?
He's an athlete that's for sure. He can do well anywhere for us at the minute (when fit).

I could see him being up and down right midfield for a Championship club in a couple of seasons.

LDNGrecian

Views?
Definitely more athletic than technical. Wing back is a great position for him.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)

Views?
Can't see him being a #10 at all to be honest. His main strength is his pace and direct running ability. He does not have the guile or technical ability/sharpness to play as a #10 in between the lines where you have to be so good at receiving the ball on the half turn etc. Matt Jay technically is excellent and this is why he has done so well there.

I think this season Josh Key has been best as a RB and hasn't been as effective when he has played as a right winger in front of Caprice. Some players are better when the game is in front of them and this has been the case for Josh. I can see why we sometimes play him as a right winger as he has the pace and power to do well and obviously offers a threat in the air coming in at the back post, but it hasn't quite worked yet.

I would say that RB or Right Wingback would seem to be his best positions going forward. Incidentally, before he had COVID I thought he was excellent and reminded me of Jack Stacey when Tis turned him into a RB. Key has huge potential and seems a great kid as well who loves playing for the club!!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right back, right wing back or right sided centre back when playing with three centre backs.

That is where I see him and that is where he will get the best out of his career.

jimbo-gould

He has looked good at right back, but still has a lot to learn in my opinion. Basic defensive stuff like stopping a cross quicker. That would be my preferred position for him as well, probably behind a more technical winger that he can overlap. He has done well so far though, especially considering it isn’t his position that he is used to.

IndoMike

Views?
From what I've seen of Key he is more of a power and pace type needing space to take advantage of that rather than someone who can turn on a sixpence and dribble in a confined area.
He's more of a Sercs than a Neville. However, in the future - who knows.