• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Josh Key...

budegrecian

Comes across as a cracking lad in the post match interview too.

jimbo-gould

Played really well yesterday and had a good start to the season, but let’s not get too ahead of ourselves at the minute. I hope he continues as he’s started but maybe classing him as someone who will help send us up the league adds a bit of unnecessary pressure for someone who has only played 3 league games.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why he wasn't involved last season is beyond me.
I think most of these youngsters were good enough to be in and around the matchday squad last season but would probably have spent a lot of time as unused subs. Matt Taylor, therefore, decided it was better for them to be playing regularly elsewhere.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key at right wing back last season, I'm sure he would have done OK.

People say he would have lacked consistency, the likes of Sweeney have been inconsistent for years, Williams is very inconsistent. Most league 2 players are.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Key hadn’t played at full back before. He got his practical experience of playing wing back/ full back in men’s football at Tivvy. If he hadn’t done that there last season he would have been being asked to make his City debut in a role that was entirely unfamiliar to him.

moreover it is really tiresome , when the club has successfully managed a youngster through youth football , non league and into the first team that the huge success is trampled on by those who, with very little ( if any) evidence proclaim their own genius that they would have done this much better in a way that by definition cannot be tested.

The deluder

I am sure Matt Taylor will drop Key on Saturday to accommodate the more experienced Caprice.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key at right wing back last season, I'm sure he would have done OK.

People say he would have lacked consistency, the likes of Sweeney have been inconsistent for years, Williams is very inconsistent. Most league 2 players are.
He may well have done ok but with our formation and the way Randell was playing he wouldn’t have got much game time so it looks like it was a pretty good decision to have Jayden sat on the bench collecting splinters and Josh gaining experience by playing every week.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
moreover it is really tiresome , when the club has successfully managed a youngster through youth football , non league and into the first team that the huge success is trampled on by those who, with very little ( if any) evidence proclaim their own genius that they would have done this much better in a way that by definition cannot be tested.
Completely agree. It can get frustrating at times waiting for the latest youngster to be given a chance but Matt Taylor has shown again and again he is a pretty good judge of when a player is ready and there is no-one I’d rather have managing their transition into the first team.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key hadn’t played at full back before. He got his practical experience of playing wing back/ full back in men’s football at Tivvy. If he hadn’t done that there last season he would have been being asked to make his City debut in a role that was entirely unfamiliar to him.

Drama queen alert.

All I have said is I think he should have been more involved last season. Perfectly reasonable.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Here's a thought, with the wings occupied why not play Key at center forward making a forward line of Randall, Key and Williams, speed and trickery on the break a bit like Brentford. Doubt it will happen, Matt seems set in the idea of a big bloke up front but in all fairness, I think Key is better in the air than Bowman.